Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions wanted

QMcK

Familiar Face
Hello,

These seem good forums, I'm really glad I found this place.

I am new to hat wearing and I would like to be confident my hats look good. Tell me what you think.

Tempshot0012.jpg

"Outback Trading Company Kodiak". It has a drawstring (correct term?) like the straw hat, but I don't need to use it in most cases, because it's much heavier (and better fitting) than the straw.

Tempshot0015.jpg

A straw hat with the Kodiak in the background so you can see the leather band.

I bought the straw to shade me on a walk and the Kodiak to shade me on a longer walk.

Do you think they suit me? It doesn't really matter just for walking, but if I'm going to wear hats about town, I'd like to feel confident.

Thanks,
Quentin.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hello, Q. Welcome to the Lounge!

That first hat grabs me more than the second one. I'd say the straw is practical for your stated use while the Kodiak is functional as well as stylish.

Neither of these hats are what I would consider actual fedoras but that's fine. We like lots of types of hats here. That Kodiak has the adventurous look which seems right for a New Zealander.

I'm curious; will the brim on the straw one snap UP in back? It might look better if so.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Thanks very much for the replies. I do like the Kodiak best, too. I was a little worried that the brim may be too wide for me, so thanks for your reassurance.

I can't snap up the brim at the back of the straw hat. It's not stiff enough.

---------------

Oh yes - I have been wanting to get a fedora (or similar type hat) for some time now, that's how I stumbled across this site. I've seen the 'whippet' thread, and I really like the look of those, too.

Thanks again.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
You look fine in both, but I have to say the Kodiak, with its wider brim, compliments you more. Keep the straw, however, as it is practical.

I hope I helped.

Slouch-Hat...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Wind in your hat

As everyone knows, "Kansas" means: People of the south wind.

Man, it blows here.

OK, I realize you can take that a couple of ways.

But until you get used to wearing a felt hat in the wind, a bonnet string ain't a bad thing, especially out in the field, though I used to take a tip from John Wayne and keep it in the back. Still, it saved hats for me on many occasions!

I really like the Kodiak and it looks like a good, servicable hat. The shape, size and color look about right.

As far as the string on it, you be the judge. Are you going to wear it outdoors a lot? Or will you wear it to an office where you hang it up once you get to work?

Try wearing it with the string in the back for a while. You might like it that way until you get used to keeping it in place.

The straw looks like it will be a good, comfortable noggin protector come summer, and you can never have too many straws to go through — it seems like the ones that you really like never last long enough.

Congratulations on a good start and welcome to hatting.

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Welcome!

Hi, Q. I'd like to add my welcome to the Lounge. From the replies you've already received, I guess it's obvious to you that in these forums lurk actual adults -- friendly folks with helpful opinions. Not too common on the web these days, you know...:)

If you are interested in a 'fedora' style hat, as I think you mentioned, I think the shape of your face would allow you carry off a wide variety of brim widths....the wide brim in your first pic suits you well!

Cheers,

GC

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Try and Open Road

Judging from your taste and these pics, may I suggest you look into an Open Road, reshaped into a fedora, or a similar, casual but wide-brimmed fedora?

cptjeff

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:
Sorry for the blunder ....

I actually meant the Akubra Camp Draft, which should be available down there.

Good luck

Good suggestion. I've noticed that larger brimmed hats like that tend to look better in lighter colors and earthtones as well. Try a tan or a brown.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Wider brims for you Sir. Being close to Australia, you should have a good stock of Akubra. There was a Mens shop just off K Road in Auckland that stocked quite a few...go and try them on! Welcome

Sam Craig

One Too Many
brown camp draft

That brown camp draft would be a classy lid!

Are there such things as second hand shops, thrift stores, whatever, down there?

Might be worth a look if the collecting bug bites.

Good luck!:eusa_clap

QMcK

Familiar Face
Hi,

I went to a thrift shop the other day and found a few books. There are a few second hand shops I know of. I've been meaning to visit them again.

As everyone knows, "Kansas" means: People of the south wind.

Man, it blows here.

OK, I realize you can take that a couple of ways.

Yes, I suppose you can. lol

But until you get used to wearing a felt hat in the wind, a bonnet string ain't a bad thing, especially out in the field, though I used to take a tip from John Wayne and keep it in the back. Still, it saved hats for me on many occasions!

I really like the Kodiak and it looks like a good, servicable hat. The shape, size and color look about right.

As far as the string on it, you be the judge. Are you going to wear it outdoors a lot? Or will you wear it to an office where you hang it up once you get to work?

I was planning to wear it (or a hat, anyway) for going to and from university, on errands around town and on walks.

Around here, we usually don't get a lot of wind. Most days, there's either no wind or a light breeze. So, I don't feel I need to use the bonnet string.

For walking, I have been using the string. I've been for a couple of walks in the hills with it. The first time, the rain started so we cut the walk short. It really is waterproof! The water beaded up on it. On the second walk, we went a bit further. It was just as well I was using the string. I think I may have lost it if I hadn't been using the string.

The Kodiak isn't felt - it's actually oilskin. It says on the tag that it's "100% cotton" treated with oil. It's thick and stiff - more like a felt hat than a cloth hat.

Hi, Q. I'd like to add my welcome to the Lounge. From the replies you've already received, I guess it's obvious to you that in these forums lurk actual adults -- friendly folks with helpful opinions. Not too common on the web these days, you know...
You're right there.

If you are interested in a 'fedora' style hat, as I think you mentioned, I think the shape of your face would allow you carry off a wide variety of brim widths....the wide brim in your first pic suits you well!
Thank you.

One of my hesitations about getting a fedora style hat is that I should "class up" my dressing to go with it. Not to say there's anything wrong with dressing classily, it's just I'm not used to it. The Campdraft does look nice. http://www.akubra.com.au/products_country.html It's the fourth hat on the list.

I can't say I've seen many Akubras in shops in Christchurch. I've just discovered there's a Hat Shop here, and I'll go and have a look soon.

Wider brims for you Sir. Being close to Australia, you should have a good stock of Akubra. There was a Mens shop just off K Road in Auckland that stocked quite a few...go and try them on! Welcome

Auckland is on the other main island. It's in the North Island and Christchurch is in the South Island. But I want to fly up there to visit a friend in the near future, so I'll have a look at that shop then. Thanks.

Quentin.

cptjeff

Practically Family
QMcK said:
Hi,

The Kodiak isn't felt - it's actually oilskin. It says on the tag that it's "100% cotton" treated with oil. It's thick and stiff - more like a felt hat than a cloth hat.

Good felt is much different from oilskin. In a good way. It softens up, but still holds up very well, making it very comfortable and practical.

One of my hesitations about getting a fedora style hat is that I should "class up" my dressing to go with it. Not to say there's anything wrong with dressing classily, it's just I'm not used to it. The Campdraft does look nice. http://www.akubra.com.au/products_country.html It's the fourth hat on the list.
Absolutely not necessary. Many on this board sport a more dressed up look, true, but hats like campdrafts are not formal hats. In fact, they might look somewhat silly dressed up. They're made to be work lids. You can dress up a little more if you like, but it's hardly a requirement.

Actually, on occasion I've suspected that the dressed up look many fedora wearers tend to have might be a reason most people don't consider wearing one. They start to think of them as formal hats rather then just hats.

QMcK

Familiar Face
I wasn't saying the Campdraft looked like a formal hat. That should have been two paragraphs. I've been wanting an actual fedora for a while, but I thought I'd have to get dressed up to wear it. I can't remember seeing anyone here wearing a fedora. I got the idea they were formal type hats because people wearing them were wearing them at a time when one got dressed up to go into town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy