Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo, Just like new, 71/8,100% Beaver, Neptune Blue

DRB

One Too Many
I am selling my Optimo, 100% Beaver, Neptune Blue, 7 1/8. It is in the same condition as when I received it. Never worn in the rain. Only worn about 5 times. It has the Optimo #1 low crown-5 inches with the dent, 5 1/2 inches open. 2 inch brim with an underwelt. The ribbon matches the color of the felt and is 1 1/2 inches, no bow/with centerpiece. There is a long waiting list for Optimo's and they run $525 without shipping last time I checked. You can have this one without the 3-4 month wait.

Comes with original box in perfect condition.
This is an absolutely beautiful color of blue. I am selling it because it is 1/4 inch too high for my taste. I prefer 5" when open crowned and this one is 5 inches with the dent/crease (crease and dent were done by Optimo). $400.00
Money back guarantee if you contact me withing 24 hours notice upon day of receipt. Delivered with insurance and delivery confirmation. $20.00 shipping to 50 US. states.

The color in the pictures is a fair representation of the true color.

OptimoNeptuneBlueOct2010a.jpg

IMG_09142.jpg

OptimoNeptuneBlueSept2010.jpg

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Yes, I heard that they recently had a price increase, but I purchased this one before the increase. Thanks for the info. Maybe I should raise my price.
http://www.optimohats.com/swatches/fedorano1/

Also, I would like to add that my initials are NOT imprinted on the sweatband. The hat is less than a year old.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Bruce and Dano, thanks for looking.
Dano, : I value your feedback. If I understand you correctly, the tighter pinch look is more appealing. My own opinion is that the wider pinch front is what gets my motor running. Sort of a boxy look is what I am striving for.

This hat below is the hat that started it all for me. It is what I am striving for in all my hats. A $200 Crushable Borsalino, sold 5" open crowned. Perhaps I am just a Bowler/Derby wanna be? :D

Sept0420101693.jpg

If the hat doesn't sell maybe I will steam it back to open crown and shape it my way. The hat is absolutely beautiful, so if it does not sell, I won't be heartbroken. The hat is less than a year old.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I would have jumped on it if it were a wider brim. I look terrible in stingies. I need a brim no smaller than 2-3/8.

DRB

One Too Many
Thanks M.V.

Here is another example of a more boxy type hat:
Veronicaatage321w87.jpg

It has a wide pinch.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Nice one. BTW I like the hats blocked as above on you, much better than the ones with the wide front on the crown. I just think it looks better across the board.

I agree with dan. I almost never comment on anybody's style but this time, with all due respect, I have to tell you Dennis that the way this hat is shaped looks SO MUCH better on you than your other hats. I think this blue one is boxy/square. Your white one and GW look more cone-shaped because of the taper. My motto is, if it ain't a bowler, give it a couple dents! Also Optimos, with shipping are $605. I just paid that for mine that's still in the oven and due for the end of January.

DRB

One Too Many
Aureliano, thanks for your feedback as well. I value your opinion also. When I said Boxy, I meant on the top of the crown only (just a very slight crease). I have to have some taper to the front of the hat, that is just my style, just like many Borsalino's. I know I am in a minority on this board as most prefer taller crowns with no (or little) taper.

I just looked at the width of the pinch width on my Optimo 1000 (considered to be Optimo's finest hat) and compared it to my Sand colored hat and Brown hat. They look identical to me. I guess it just comes down to asking one's self these questions:
1. Do I want a hat with taper to the front, or a hat with the front at a 90 degree angle?
2. Do I want a hat that has a wider front with dents, or do I want a hat with a more narrow front with dents?

My personal opinion is: this style works for me well. (The sand colored hat changes color depending on the light). These two hats have the same wider pinch. They look great to me, we just share slightly different tastes. Also, here is the pic of the Optimo 1000 worn on New Year's Eve and today. The Optimo 1000 has a front pinch similar to my others I believe, not tight at all.

Customhatter2010dkjf2225.jpg

Dec292010Sand70mink30beaverandBrownmadebyGaryWhite.jpg

12-31-10.jpg

Christma201090.jpg

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, DRB, I don't know about anyone else, but I think the stingy brim with a boxy crown looks great on you. Your jaw tapers in just enough to set it off right. My jaw is really wide, so on me a tall crown and a stingy brim looks very, very bad. You carry it off well.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I would have the hat re-blocked if I were you. I can really see that blue/grey color on you. I have 1 Optimo that I got on ebay at a greatly reduced price. Aside from the astounding quality, I had them reblock it so that it fits perfectly. I think a re-shaping will give you an extraordinary addition to your collection.

DRB

One Too Many
Good luck on the sale! and hey btw, I like taper! :p. I own a couple that have it.

My apologies my friend, I did not mean to imply that you do not like taper at all. May the fleas of a thousand beavers infest me. :D

Forrest

Familiar Face
That Optimo is flippin' gorgeous. My size too, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of scratch on a hat (at least not yet, anyway!). I will say that it looks sublime on your head, so you may want to reconsider selling it. I get what you're saying, though, when you have an ideal picture of your style, anything else just won't do. But, man, you can wear a variety of styles, and that hat is awesome. The crown height and pinch look great on you.

DRB

One Too Many
Thanks dogrocketp and Forrest. The hat is 5 1/2 inches open crowned. I am looking for 5" open crowned. The hat is super soft.

DRB

One Too Many
Do you think the price too high?

Maybe I am asking too much for a $600 hat that is in as new condition and worn only on a couple of occasions. I could drop the price to $350 plus shipping but that would be as low as I could go.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I just don't know what bolthead's comment was meant to convey, DRB. Does he think Optimo charges too much in the first place? I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran