Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original or, now?

Wild Root

Gone Home
My good friends, I found this photo and I would like to ask the members here if this is an original photo, or a new photo. I know the answer but I would like to see how hep you all are on spotting the real deal and a phoney.

Just for fun mind you!

Root.

1111135imgcopy3pp.jpg

android

One of the Regulars
Are we supposed to know by looking at the photos or are you expecting us to all be CA license plate experts?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You mean out of the two images, which one is an original and which is a fake original? The first image looks like a period shot dues to the old gas pumps and the old telegraph pole in the background. As Android said- I don't know about the license plates though...
The secondimage could be one you shot with a vintage camera and perhaps even "degraded" digitally- there is no period contextual material to confirm its age. So, if I had to choose which was which based on the information I have outlined, I would say the first one is "period" and the second one is maybe the contemporary one. But then maybe you know of an old gas station with old pumps... But with the visual cues I have, I would say number one is the original.
BT.

Wild Root

Gone Home
To answer the first question about the license plates. It's not about that.

The first photo is the fake! It was taken at Dale's Auto on Shamrock in Monrovia. I was there last week and he had a 41 Plymouth in for a brake job and I thought it was perfect to take some photos with my car out side with the old pumps.

The second image is an original image. I chose that one because it had no period surroundings. Trees look the same today as they did long ago!

One thing about the license plate though, I found a photo of a 1945 California plate then found a photo of the 46 tag that goes on it. I used photo shop to place it over the newer plate I have on my car. Pretty slick eh? Then I aged it to look period.

I did this just for fun to see if I could fool the eye.

Thanks for responding!

Root.

Sergei

Gone Home
The dead give away for me on the first picture was the power pole had the wrong looking glass insulators. Here is a picture from 1948 on how power poles looked like:
01.jpg

04.jpg

-Sergei

android

One of the Regulars
Chain link fence has been around for about 100 years. Supposedly invented in NJ in 1904.

Wild Root

Gone Home
know, they still have lots of the old power poles along the drive to AZ! Funny how after all this time they are still there with the original glass on them! I forgot to fix the poles in the first photo.

Chain link fence??? Well, maybe for those who look at it it may appear as one, it isn't a chain link fence! It's a little rod iron fence that surrounds a 100 year old Church. It may look like a different fence since I blurred the photo a bit to give it the look.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thank you BT. It took me some time to make the first one vintage and close to fooling the eye. I see there are some that know their stuff when it comes to just the little details like a telephone pole that has the modern equipment.

I'll soon come out with some more to continue to fool the eye.

Root.

Raffles

New in Town
The thing that gave it away for me was the fact that it looked so good. There was a lack of dust and scratches on the first photo. Photoshop has a lot of different filters u can download for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran