Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original vintage verses reproduction in photo shoots.

Louise Anne

Suspended
In the normal way I have no problem with a lady or gent wearing original vintage, reproduction or even vintage inspired, becuse I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind all three,
However in my view this changed when they are uses in a photo shoot with a proper photographer , A fashion photo is largely about the clothes the model is wearing, and for me there is far more effort and skill goes into creating and putting together a complete head to toe original outfit compared to ordering a few items reproductions items online with the mouse on night.
even if the photo are of comparable quality

For me this matter becuse it takes something away from the ladies and gents here who do go to great lengths to try get every thing just right and period correct

Also I do know one model who's well know for wearing corsets and for a little fun one night she put her own head using photo shop into a vintage fetish photo of Betty Page and put it on her own web site in a private area or what she thought was , this photothen appeared on a corset company web site as a happy customer photo page implying this was a corset from the company.
I know this becuse I talked to the model about it.

I even know of photographer changing shades of stocking to get them looking more vintage! and one male photographer even gave me a long lecture on 1940's makeup which he was factually right about apart from my dress was 1950's so the photo thus was set in the 50's.

I not even saying photos are better if original vintage is used instead of reproduction clothing , but I think it's nice to know either way so you can make up your own mind about it , The thing is you cannot always tell from the photo alone if something is original or not especially as photoshop is almost always used in one way or another.

lareine

A-List Customer
I agree. I don't mind one way or the other if a photo is real or Photoshopped, so long as I know which it is! It's not nice to feel that you have been tricked into believing something is genuine if it actually isn't.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have done photo shoots in both and I think they both work wonderfully. But I tend to prefer the reproductions because I like how they fit me better, so I am more comfortable in my pictures.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree that I would like to know what is what. In addition, when I buy something that is a "reproduction", I'd like to know how accurate the reproduction is. For instance, is it an exact copy of an outfit they found? The same type of fabric? Did they do research on colors/ patterns?

To me, there is a difference between a piece that is a exact replica, a replica that involved a lot of research but could have existed, a replica in fabrics that didn't exist or with the dimensions changed, or something that has vintage lines. It's not that I wouldn't buy non-replica items (I do), but I am willing to pay more for pieces that are more "accurate."

I'm never going to be able to dress head to toe in vintage because my feet are too big! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy