Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscars 2011

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Oscars are on, and the results are coming in. How do you feel about the winners? Anyone disagree? Post freely and politely!

PS. MK, I'm looking for you in the crowd.

LordBest

Practically Family
Rather pleased that The Kings Speech did so well, and Colin Firth picking up Best Actor was well deserved. A little dissapointed Helena Bonham-Carter didn't win best supporting actress, she was a perfect Queen Mother. I've not seen Dark Duck or whatever that ballet thriller with Natalie Portman was called so I can't judge.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aussies now have 4 but a travesty that Geoffrey Rush did not got that Oscar. Typical - the same thing happened to Russell Crowe. The Aussie actors are punching above their weight and Hollywood can't allow that and punishes us for success!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
In Denmark we are quite pleased :)

And so is Sweden - they think it's a swedish movie, 'cause the leading male role is played by a swedish actor.
Oh well - success has many fathers. lol

Last edited:

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Geoffrey Rush - (who played the speech therapist in The King's Speech) not getting an Oscar was a travesty. But the whole Academy Awards thing is so political anyway, which sadly steals away from some 'real' achievements.

BUT...in a world of North African dictatorships toppling like dominoes and middle eastern wars, it's a little bit of glitz and glamour where you can lose yourself for a while :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont understand how a nothing picture like 'the social network' could win so many awards. Its certainly not because of the film itself. I think its simply because facebook is so big and hollywood is enamored with it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sigh, True Grit didn't win in any category. I didn't see Inception, the Social Dise... Um Network, or the King's speech. I haven't been this disappointed since Smoky and the Bandit wasn't even nominated.

Kind of hope I'm kidding don't ya?

I'm not.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I at least was aware of most of the films nominated, which is unusual. I must say, I was disappointed that none pf the King's Speech recipients saw fit to say something complimentary about good old King George himself. Ah, well. They really really need to bring Bob Hope back from the dead to do the MC-ing job. Yoiks. Someone I know suggested William Shatner. Anyone else have any thoughts on that score?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I live about a mile from this dog and pony show. I hate that they blocked off a major artery of the city which is already beyond traffic congested for a WHOLE WEEK to set up a tent so 'reporters' can ask actors how they felt. It's just an inconsiderate strain on the entire city. I guess Id feel differently if movies were still made in LA but whatev.

I haven't seen any of the movies that were nominated, and I don't even know what was nominated.

LD

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I was very happy to see that The King's Speech did so well. Too bad that Rush didn't make Best Supporting Actor.

I watched part of The Social Network, and it was terrible. Dreadfully boring, especially to someone who doesn't give a care about technology outside of a rotary telephone.

Kirstenkat

New in Town
I didn't watch them or know nominations or winners but I saw someone mentioned Inception, one of the only movies this past year I'd say deserved something as it was amazing, and Harry Potter haha. Most of this years movies were so so bad though.

I just watched the opening though, mostly corny but loved the Back to The Future reference

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I at least was aware of most of the films nominated, which is unusual. I must say, I was disappointed that none pf the King's Speech recipients saw fit to say something complimentary about good old King George himself. Ah, well. They really really need to bring Bob Hope back from the dead to do the MC-ing job. Yoiks. Someone I know suggested William Shatner. Anyone else have any thoughts on that score?

You mean you want Hollywood to be in touch with the real world, or someone other than themselves? Good luck

When Julia Roberts won the Oscar for Erin Brokovich she made a long speech and thanked a long list of people from her parents and God down to her hairdresser. The one person she failed to mention was ... Erin Brokovich

Need I say more?

Edward

Bartender

I might actually watch it if the had The Shat on. I really can't be bothered with the Oscars.... to be honest, I've never really seen the point of them. Other than that winning an Oscar ups your standard fee as an actor, which would be welcome, I really don't see much advantage to winning one. They just don't seem relevant to me, I suppose. Last time I watched the highlights was, I think, about 1994/5.... whatever year it was that political correctness lost Liam Neeson the best actor award to Tom Hanks. At university, a bunch of us did all get together to watch it live once.... we got bored an hour in and switched the channel. lol

I was very happy to see that The King's Speech did so well. Too bad that Rush didn't make Best Supporting Actor.

I watched part of The Social Network, and it was terrible. Dreadfully boring, especially to someone who doesn't give a care about technology outside of a rotary telephone.

lol You've got to at least see a little irony in that you posted this on an internet forum, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy