Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I remember that Photocrapper post but just giving specific shipping instructions can't hurt and may possibly help. My second shipper never shipped a hat before and giving her specifics made me feel more comfortable.

Y'know, it can't hurt to let them know your expectations.

Then there's this guy, who's auction for a Hommie ends soon, "Unless I hear otherwise, I will send this in a flat rate priority box, which is about 5 inches tall on the inside. You will have to push the crown back up and into shape, but it will keep the shipping costs down."

At least he/she's honest your hat will be crushed!

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, it can't hurt to let them know you're expectations.

Then there's this guy, who's auction for a Hommie ends soon, "Unless I hear otherwise, I will send this in a flat rate priority box, which is about 5 inches tall on the inside. You will have to push the crown back up and into shape, but it will keep the shipping costs down."

At least he/she's honest your hat will be crushed!
Comes bashed as a flattop from the shipper. How nice.

Last edited:

RJR

My flea market,antique shop finds from the last few weeks.4 hat boxes,2 hats.The Snugfelt is a size 7 so I will more than likely sell it.But the Panama fits great.Yesterday I found something that I have wanted in my size for a long time.Pics to follow.
I really like the look of that panama,Chuck.

I work Tuesdays in our Columbus office, which takes me past a few antique malls on I-70. Big ones. Sometimes, I'll stop in and take a quick poke around to see if any interesting hats have turned up. I had a few moments yesterday on the drive home and stopped in one for a quick swing through, hoping for some dumb luck.

No hats, but I ran across this little gem.

Picture24.jpg

I should have photographed the hat, as well, as now I forget the brand (nothing I'd ever heard of). It was way too small, and I wasn't going to shell out $150 for this anyway, but I thought it was a pretty cool top hat case. The spaces on the sides contained a brush and velvety cloth, along with a little velvet "pillow." I'm not certain what these items would be used for on the hat, though.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Finally found one my size.Monday was a most excellent hat day.I was at the Flea market and spotted a Dobbs box,walked over and sure enough a hat was in the box.Picked up the hat,not a Dobbs.It was a Stetson my size in great shape.What would you like for the Stetson?$25,he said.I'll do $20 with the box.He said ok.Now I just might have to sell the 7 1/8 that I found a while back.

Fanos Antoniades

New in Town
I seriously can't believe I just bought this.....a NOS box of 24 hat crease clips. I didn't know stuff like this still existed. I have only seen these hat clips in Vintage American Hatter publications and several posted by Steve in the German/Austrian hat thread.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/269345046/vintage-agrippa-hat-clips

They are coming from Cyprus, so it might be a couple weeks before they clear customs. I am really excited to see these in person!

Fanos Antoniades

New in Town
Fantastic info, Steve!! Thanks! I didn't even notice the "Dermotta" name on the clips until you pointed it out. I have admired these clips since I saw your posts years ago, and I had hoped to find one. It was shocking to me that I would actually find 24 of them. They have had quite a voyage.....made in England.......for a German hatmaker.....somehow wound up in Cyprus....and now are on their way to the USA. If only they could talk.
Can I ask you how much a dermotta hat would value these days???

Can I ask you how much a dermotta hat would value these days???
It all depends on the age and type of hat. For example an old (1930s or older) Velour in larger size (58cm and above) could go for a high price. I only have two mid 1950 Dermotta Homburgs and they are really fantastic hats. Can you post photos of the Dermotta? Here is my page on Dermotta Wien. By the way are you associated with the Crease Holders? Thanks!

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/91-dermotta-wien/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran