Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Here's a Baron Custom hat from Baron Hats in Burbank, CA. They make most of the hats for the movies. I sent a photo of it to the owner of Baron and he told me it was at least 25 years old and made by the original owner. I'm hoping to pop by the shop with it sometime for them to tell me more about it. It's in almost mint unused condition. Apologies for the dust, I forgot my hat brush in the house and didn't think it would show up so much. I got this one at a yard sale. View attachment 57828

Looks like one Lee Van Cleef would have worn , but some of the Newer Movies have had guys wearing them .

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
very nice !!

please don't keep it in that box when it gets to you :)
Why do you say that? Do we have any proof that the box was just a shipping box
and that people were supposed to remove the hat? The one I have I keep in the box.
Doesn't take long (a bit of steam helps) for it to pop back into shape. Rolling it and
putting it in the box sure makes it easy to bring with me.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
and that people were supposed to remove the hat? The one I have I keep in the box.
Doesn't take long (a bit of steam helps) for it to pop back into shape. Rolling it and
keeping it rolled up in the box will not be beneficial to the hat

@alanfgag has spoken on this as well

RJR

Lots of discussion on this.I think whether the sweat is cloth or leather is a big issue.In any event,its your hat,do as you please.

and that people were supposed to remove the hat?...

A 1950s brochure referencing the signature small box as being for shipping or convenient carrying home from Italy has been posted here. The packable, rollable fedora that can be tucked into a cigar tube and unfurled when one reaches their final destination without deleterious effect is one of the holy grails around the Fedora Lounge. I have posted photos of my Borsalino Pocket Hat with its grosgrain sweatband. It rolls nicely but always looks a little rumpled. I haven't tried to wear it without removing it from the box first.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Well, that would entail getting in the box, and unless it's a Tardis (or you're secretly Ant Man)...

Haha ! I read Alan's Post , (Knew what he meant) thought the same thing . FZ fans have a different sense of humor . But I laughed , thinking about it .

But back to common sense , No rollable/crushable Hat (except a knit toboggan) is made to be stored that way , it's just for travel convenience OBVIOUSLY .

Found this cool Mallory at a antique shop.This hat has a interesting edge treatment.
ZAchRXk.jpg
I will put more pics in a Mallory thread.
4CvVxff.jpg
5Iw1t4v.jpg
Beautiful, Dog. Great color.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. Mine has a leather sweatband and, as you'll note in the thread below (see hat #3), sat in that box
for around 50 years and then again a few more times.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/3-borsalinos-pocket-light-and-feather.10256/

Nice looking Hats @feltfan , I seriously have heard that rolling , and crushing are only for temporary travel purposes . Hat Shops have vids about it , and imagine others have experience . I just would be leery of storing mine that way , and wouldn't want your nice Hats messed up . Though I know some old Borsalino Hats have been in the little coffins for years before being sold and raised from the dead .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner