Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ouch!

starla

New in Town
I did it again...let me preface this by saying my feet just hate shoes. Hate them. Back when I played hockey (I played all through high school), I used the same pair of skates each season and even when they were broken in, they gave me rub spots at the beginning of each season. I have scars from them actually.

So I put on a pair of shoes I've worn many times before without problems (simple black Mary-Jane heels) and walked to town, about a mile with hills. I've done it tons of times, I used to do it every day in fact. But this time, my feet apparently decided that they weren't having it, and when I was in town I looked down and noticed blood peeking out at the tops of my shoes! Luckily it didn't hurt at all so the walk home was fine, but it stained my (new!) stockings!

What's the best way to clean blood and dirt out of stockings? Or is it better to ditch them? They've got runs at the feet from the shoes, too, but they're not noticeable if I wear shoes. Should I just toss them out? They're relatively cheap ones...but still! Or is there any other use for stockings besides as...well...stockings?
And are there any shoes or other items of clothing that you shouldn't wear but suffer through anyway for the sake of looking cute? Misery loves company so spill it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
you can cut your stockings cross-ways to get loops to use as rubber-bands for your hair - and they won't break your hair. or you can take a section of your stocking and fill it with hair that you pull out of your hairbrush to make a rat/hair form, just like the ladies used to do back in the day.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I don't know whether you do your hair in updos, but have you thought about rolling the stockings up and using them as hair rats (er, without the blood-stained dirty bit :p ).

I have a pair of red sequinned flats (not vintage-looking at all, but lovely. The closest I have to Dorothy shoes) that I still haven't broken in after a few wears. I just can't seem to soften them enough at the heel, but once in a while I give it a try again and end up with terrible blisters. Maybe shoe stretching spray is the answer. Or a meat tenderising hammer. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I wear stockings, I wear those little hose booties for my feet, to give my toes a bit of extra cushion. It works great. You can get real nice booties (low cut so they hide in your shoe) for a few dollars at many Walgreens.

As for the runned hose, there is no point to saving them. Id toss them, they are kinda useless.

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fancy Mouse said:
. Maybe shoe stretching spray is the answer. Or a meat tenderising hammer. :D

or you can take them to a cobbler, who can stretch them or break them in for you. i highly recommend it.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
When I wear stockings, I wear those little hose booties for my feet, to give my toes a bit of extra cushion. It works great. You can get real nice booties (low cut so they hide in your shoe) for a few dollars at many Walgreens.

As for the runned hose, there is no point to saving them. Id toss them, they are kinda useless.

LD

That's a good idea!

I have so many different inserts and gel things and crazy stuff going on in my heels, plus band-aids all over my toes to prevent blisters (just in case!) that another thing can't hurt! My feet, flat as can be, are just not cut out for heels, or wedges sometimes even, but I try my hardest to make it work. However, I've learned to be careful since last year I fractured a bone in the middle of my foot just from walking around in 1 inch kitten heels for a few hours. I couldn't walk normally for over a month!

I've definitely gotten some blood-stained stockings too, but I've just tossed them. Luckily though, it was by the third or fourth time I've worn them, so they were already showing wear and it wasn't such a waste of money.

Vettie Lamour

New in Town
I second the gel inserts. they really help.
I also have learned from many bad shoe experiences that when buying a new pair of shoes if they don't feel super comfortable when I first try them on, I don't buy them. Otherwise I may wind up having to drink a lot so I don't feel the pain from my feet.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have wide, kind of oddly shaped feet. I just have to find shoes that fit from the get-go.

I really like Clarks. This has a vintage look:

1396-310503-d.jpg

This looks like a comfy sandal:

1396-366589-d.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, you can save your stockings!

Soak them in tepid water with lots of household salt. It gets blood out easily. Then handwash them as usual.

Any fairly fresh bloodstain will come out with the salt treatment. Just remember NEVER to use hot water or you will set the stain and it will never come out properly.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Ouch indeed! I actually cringed when reading this! You may also want to try wide width shoes.
For blood and other stains, I absolutely love these two products; tide stain stick and naptha bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou