Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: The sad demise of pipe smoking

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I'm new here, just joined yesterday, but I thought I'd just jump on in...

I'm a college student and a pipe smoker, and own three pipes -two Nordings and a meerschaum. I have to say that the meerschaum is probably my favorite, seems to me like I can taste the tobacco better. I did, however, have the great pleasure to meet Mr. Nording last year, he came to the local tobacconist's to give a pipe-carving demonstration and I was able to get my first pipe autographed by him. Very nice gentleman.

LocktownDog said:
Welcome to the club, Matt. I've had a pipe in my craw for 10 years or so now. Rarely without one.

GL Pease tobaccos are brilliantly blended. Taste really good. My only fault with them is the price. They've come down a bit lately though. Didn't care for Best In Show, but then again I never really did find a liking to the sweet aromatics. Now that you've got a english blend (with latakia ... deep smokey taste) and an aromatic ... I think you should also try a virginia (pretty much straight virginia leaf, often pressed into flake form) like Gawith Full Virginia Flake and would also suggest a non-aromatic burley blend (what most of our grandpas used to smoke) like Half & Half or Barking Dog.

And you made a good choice on the pipe. Nordings are very well made. Can I suggest you pick up a few corn cobs too? I know, I know. Some really think they look hokey, but they smoke very cool and are great for trying out varieties that you may not want leaving ghosts in your best pipes.

Richard

I can second Barking Dog. House of Windsor makes several old varieties that I smoke including Field and Stream, Argosy Black and, I think Maple Leaf.
Then there is my experience with straight Perique.:eek: Don't do this at home kids. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

LocktownDog said:
lol Or if you do, please post the video here! lol

Richard

I am sending the leftover pouch to you as I write this. :p
I should have known better considering the place I bought it from had it stashed in the corner of the humidor because it smelled funny and might be an illegal substance. :eusa_doh: I knew it wasn't but had to try it just once. Geez, what a headache inducer. :eek:

Regards,

J

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Well I'm out....

Recently, I took out my pipe for the first time in many a year and had a smoke in my truck. A week later my sweet daughter got in for a ride and said "your truck smells funny. Hey, what's this thing...?" Busted. I can't very well tell her smoking is wrong and then smoke. I'm out...

J

JohnTheGreek

Wonderful article! As an academic, I am doing my best to make pipe smoking "cumpolsory" for undergraduates as A.A. Milne suggests it was at Cambridge. What a sad state of affairs when society teaches youngsters the peculiar weakness of character reflected in obsessive self-denial.

Best,

John

P.S. Nightcap is my blend...morning, noon, and night.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Hi Matt,

I'm located around Topeka, KS. There's a lovely little establishment here called "Churchills," where they sell many different pipes and cigars. They seem to be a little light on different canned tobaccos, though, I think they blend their own instead. I tried some "Danish Black Vanilla" flake and it was quite good, though I don't care for flakes, usually.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Heck, I'm a recreational pipe smoker and I can't remember ever seeing anyone from my age group (mid twenties) with a pipe (pot smokers aside). Heck, I can't remember seeing anyone under the age of 50 smoking with a pipe. Though, a lot of all this may have to do with smoking bans being introduced in bars, restaurants and so forth as well.

I agree so much with the article, smells have so much to do with the way we remember things. I don't remember my grandfather much, but whenever I smell pipe smoke or his brand of pomade the memories become so strong that the events could've happened just yesterday.

I need to get myself a new pipe though, the one I have is starting to be a bit worn out.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Dominus Tecum!!!!
Et cum spiritu tuo!!!!!

I have a friend from Topeka who may have worked at that shop for a while a few years ago. Nice to meet you, I'm Tommy, and I like cigars and pipes ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I believe my sister has like eight of our grandfather's pipes. Oh, she doesn't smoke them, but they smell pleasant and they'll never be thrown away.

-Viola

RedPop4

One Too Many
Viola said:
I believe my sister has like eight of our grandfather's pipes. Oh, she doesn't smoke them, but they smell pleasant and they'll never be thrown away.

-Viola
As it should be.
And if, at some point she no longer wishes to have them, then you should. Fail that, a truly appreciative pipe smoker who values the personal and historical connections.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Well, I picked up my second pipe tonight - a Stanwell Danish Star.

002-034-2444.jpg

I also picked up some more leaf - I am trying the G.L. Pease Westminster.

So right now my Nording Ocasa is going to be exclusively for aromatics and my Stanwell Danish Star for English.

Since I only smoke one bowl per week I now have enough leaf (4 tins) to last a loooong time.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Matt Noir said:
Since I only smoke one bowl per week I now have enough leaf (4 tins) to last a loooong time.

If you're only going to smoke one bowl a week, don't buy any Frog Morton. You won't be able to stay out of it that long. :)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
J.S.Udontknowme said:
If you're only going to smoke one bowl a week, don't buy any Frog Morton. You won't be able to stay out of it that long. :)

I much prefer FM On the Bayou to the original. But I gotta agree. One bowl a week just ain't gonna cut it. :eek:

Richard

Michaelson

One Too Many
Sorry, I have no real opinion regarding the choice of smoking a pipe. Having lost my Dad in January to lung cancer, it's not as nostalgic as it once was to me. I was a pipe and cigar smoker myself, so I've been there and done that....more so on the cigar side of the house.

Folks can argue all day that studies are still out that smoking tobacco, be it from cigarettes or pipe, may or may NOT be related to lung cancer. I'm not arguing that point at all. What I DO know that IS directly related to my Dad's pipe smoking is that it was found in his throat and upper lungs scar tissue from years of high heat that was caused by the superheated air drawn into his lungs from his 50+ years of smoking a pipe. Before anyone says 'but you're not SUPPOSED to inhale', true, but he was a cigarette smoker first, and that's how he smoked. You get the same amount of heat in your throat even if you DON'T inhale, so there's that to consider.

I do not blame the pipes, nor the products used. I do question the choices at times....but everyone has to walk their own path. Just keep taking notes of what you see, and wonder if some of those paths others take and the results they experience are ones YOU want to walk.

Just a passing observation...

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925