Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overalls

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies,

I'm looking for a pair of vintage or vintage inspired overalls. Do you happen to know where I could find something like this? I've looked ALL over ebay and can't find a thing and I know that Vivien of Holloway makes some, but I'm here in the US and I don't believe she has them listed on her website. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Revamp makes a nice pair. They're not denim, but cotton twill.
maxine2.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Madison Paige said:
Hi Ladies,

I'm looking for a pair of vintage or vintage inspired overalls. Do you happen to know where I could find something like this? I've looked ALL over ebay and can't find a thing and I know that Vivien of Holloway makes some, but I'm here in the US and I don't believe she has them listed on her website. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

vintage overalls are my holy grail - i've never found a pair in my size, in 10 years of looking... except one pair i missed on ebay by $5!!! i think making them is the way to go. i have a pattern (bought on ebay) and a pair that has been half-finished for years now (i outgrew them before i finished them :(). i don't really like the revamp ones - i think they look costume-y and i prefer the ones with the more covering top so you can wear them without a shirt! i know there is at least one person selling repro patterns on the internet - vintage pattern lending library, i think?

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
ShooShooBaby said:
vintage overalls are my holy grail - i've never found a pair in my size, in 10 years of looking... except one pair i missed on ebay by $5!!! i think making them is the way to go. i have a pattern (bought on ebay) and a pair that has been half-finished for years now (i outgrew them before i finished them :(). i don't really like the revamp ones - i think they look costume-y and i prefer the ones with the more covering top so you can wear them without a shirt! i know there is at least one person selling repro patterns on the internet - vintage pattern lending library, i think?

Yes! I think you know EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I agree, the Revamp ones, while they are cute, do look quite costumey. I looked around that website and couldn't find any overall patterns. :(

I could definitely whip something up if I had a pattern for it! Does anyone else have any other resources?

MissHannah

One Too Many
I know Vivien doesn't have them on her website but I bet if you gave them a call they would ship some over to the US for you. She does denim ones I'm pretty sure and they have a full bodice which is high under the arms. I have a cotton twill pair and I LOVE them!

Outfit010208B.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Oh. I was hoping this was going to be a tread about what I've been secretly dreaming of for some time. I don't know it's name but maybe you do?! I know, I know it's a bit off topic.

Think a forties floorlenght dress but make it with pants. Made up in a light fabric and it's in one piece. It's a very divalike and glamorous thing to wear. I do think it exists outside of my imagination but I can't think of where I've seen it.

M

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
I know Vivien doesn't have them on her website but I bet if you gave them a call they would ship some over to the US for you. She does denim ones I'm pretty sure and they have a full bodice which is high under the arms. I have a cotton twill pair and I LOVE them!

Outfit010208B.jpg

Those are adorable!

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
Oh. I was hoping this was going to be a tread about what I've been secretly dreaming of for some time. I don't know it's name but maybe you do?! I know, I know it's a bit off topic.

Think a forties floorlenght dress but make it with pants. Made up in a light fabric and it's in one piece. It's a very divalike and glamorous thing to wear. I do think it exists outside of my imagination but I can't think of where I've seen it.

M

yes yes! i'd love this too! ive been thinking of how to addapt a dress pattern for ages, ive seen similar things on ebay before, but they're more as cover ups on the beach...

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:

Outfit010208B.jpg

awww! so cute! im jealous, as i find them to be a really odd fit on me as i have a short torso..boo!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jumpsuit

Mary said:

M

is what they call them these days... I have NEVER seen a vintage one, and never seen one in a magazine or a catalog - they existed in Hollywood movies (I am thinking Katherine Hepburn?) but probably never caught on in a big way. And they only would have been worn at home, never for street wear or evening wear out. Like hostess pajamas...
but there are a lot from the 70s and 80s that would pass if accessorized correctly.
But they would still look 80s to anyone who knows vintage.

Miss 1929

artful dodgette said:
yes yes! i'd love this too! ive been thinking of how to addapt a dress pattern for ages, ive seen similar things on ebay before, but they're more as cover ups on the beach...

yes, that kind are beach pajamas, typically from the 20s through the early 30s...

Mary

Practically Family
A jumpsuit. What a name! I never would have dreamed of calling it that. Well, great to know so I can start look around! I tried to google a bit but came up with nothing. I'd love to have posted some photos.

Artful dodgette: Do you have any pictures of what your dreaming of? So I can see if it's the same.

How do you think you'd sew it from a dresspattern?And how should you get in and out of it? Maybe buttons up the back cause I'd like the front to look very much like a dress.

M

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
overs.jpg

Here is a good pic for reference from Sears Fall 40-41 (top and bottom left women). They were in the work clothes section.

LD

I have a pair of vintage Sears coveralls, the ones pictured on the bottom left (the ones with the lady wearing the jacket over them). I found them at our local flea market and paid either $3 or $5 for them. I have only worn them a couple of times, though, as I don't want to tear or ruin them.

I would love to find a more modern, or a reproduction pair, for when I am working in the yard! I hate having to wear scrubby t-shirts and such while I am gardening or washing a car.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Artful dodgette: Do you have any pictures of what your dreaming of? So I can see if it's the same.

How do you think you'd sew it from a dresspattern?And how should you get in and out of it? Maybe buttons up the back cause I'd like the front to look very much like a dress.

M[/QUOTE]

ive seen them on ebay, but ive cleared out my watching list...they are usually really wide almost palazzo style trousers, with the back open like the photo above...but i'd like mine to have a more formaltop that buttons up...

Miss 1929

Mary said:
A jumpsuit. What a name! I never would have dreamed of calling it that. Well, great to know so I can start look around! I tried to google a bit but came up with nothing. I'd love to have posted some photos.

Named after the ones that they used while parachuting out of airplanes! (Jumping)...

Mary

Practically Family
This is just beautiful! I like the idea of the beach pajamas.Thanks for posting it!

Have any of you seen any patterns for them? It seems fairly easy to do_Or do any of you have any?

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW