Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paging Dinerman: Stetson 'Special'

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1895 Stetson Special--bound edge

4792604578_62932e441b_b.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman, are you basing that on the black sweat? The size tag seems to indicate older, and possibly the liner as well.

The colored medallion liner, as well as the size tag, as well as the sweat -- all are consistent with early 60's.

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The keyhole shape with the 7 included with the fraction was the last of this shape before the rectangular black ones(in use by '64 at least).

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
The keyhole shape with the 7 included with the fraction was the last of this shape before the rectangular black ones(in use by '64 at least).

Robert, once again, fantastic information. Thanks for that! I had a lot of confidence in Dinerman's date call, but I was hoping to learn why. Your post was very helpful.

Stetson Special

I would guess this example at late 1930's when the Special was retail priced at $5. It is interesting to compare it to the similar vintage blue medallion Aristocrat homburg, which had a dressier smooth felt, higher crown and a $7 price tag.

This felt is softer and fuzzier, but still holds a dry front pinch creasing easily.

special7.jpg

special3.jpg

The feel of the lining is unusual, different from any other Stetson lining I have... very smooth, amost slippery. Donna thought it might be a silk satin, but it feels synthetic to me.

special1.jpg

I would guess the bow was black original... it has faded to eggplant.

special4.jpg

Sweatband is embossed, that lovely Mr. Softee leather.

special6.jpg

special5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff