Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paramarines!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
These scans are from an issue of "Mechanix Illustrated". I believe it is from October of either 1941 or 1942. Interesting and rare photos of the never used "Paramarine" unit. Note the weapons and equipment.

paramarinecover-2.jpg

paramarine2-1.jpg

paramarine4-1.jpg

paramarine5-1.jpg

Sarge

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
These scans are from an issue of "Mechanix Illustrated". I believe it is from October of either 1941 or 1942. Interesting and rare photos of the never used "Paramarine" unit. Note the weapons and equipment.

paramarine4-1.jpg

Those special operations Marines and their fancy toys. The M1941 Johnson is a great lookin' gun. Too bad they never got all the kinks worked out of it in time to be officially adopted by the U.S. military.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Fantastic Scans

These are fantastic scans. Is there much text that goes along with the article, or was it mostly just photos?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Ben said:
These are fantastic scans. Is there much text that goes along with the article, or was it mostly just photos?

I believe there was a short article but I don't have the magazine here so I can't scan it. Maybe at Thanksgiving.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:

paramarine4-1.jpg

Didnt they see some combat?
They never actually jumped, but didnt those troops serve in some combat capacity?
The Johnson gun did see some combat w/ the short lived FSSF, the black devils.
1924438479_d7d5058e5f.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sarge said:
The M1941 Johnson is a great lookin' gun. Too bad they never got all the kinks worked out of it in time to be officially adopted by the U.S. military.

1st Special Service Force traded USMC 9k lbs demo for Jacks before Kiska Op and Italy.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Didnt they see some combat?
They never actually jumped, but didnt those troops serve in some combat capacity?

Yes, but not as a single, special uint. The paramarines were broken up, sent to multiple combat units. A shame, it would have been interesting to see them in action in the role they were meant for.

And you're about the Johnsons, the Army traded 2 tons of demolition charges for 125 of the guns, though they never got the special pouches to hold the magazines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles