Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pavlovian response?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I am wondering if any of you, maybe how many of you, have developed conditioned responses to the mail persons and other package delivery persons?
I get almost giddy at the sight of postal delivery trucks and brown UPS trucks.
I almost invited the UPS guy and his family for Christmas dinner!!

They bring us terrific vintage lids and all those other Ebay prizes. I know how many dogs feel when they see their biscuit laden masters approaching (I haven't salivated, least not that I noticed...).

Some of the hat finds revealed on here lately are amazing. I guess may of these hats have been known to persosn for years but were just old hats in a relative's closet and were of no value. BINGO! Ebay comes along and we find value in loads of things since we know that old saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" really is true.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have always had friendly relations with postal carriers. I have been known to give them cool beverages on hot days and small gifts during Holidays. I typically know the carrier by name, and in some cases I have come to know something about his or her broader interests and background. To me this seems quite natural, especially when you interact with the same carrier month after month and year after year. :)

I do so much mail order stuff, motorcycle parts, jeep parts, hunting stuff, horse tack, clothes, hats, etc., I forget what is coming when. I do get excited trying to remember what hat it could be when I see a hat box type package.

T Smith

Familiar Face
I, too, order lots of stuff related to my "hobbies" and just the sight of the big brown truck or the mailman in my neighborhood sets my mind wondering "do I have something coming today?" What a let down when they slow down only to stop next door - ha! There's nothing like coming home from work to find a package at the door and no greater disappointment than finding an "attempted delivery - signature required" note, now I have to wait until tomorrow!

Duper

Practically Family
Waiting for a new hat to arrive does bring a certain amount of joyful anticipation to the day.

I work from home in a quiet residential area. From my 2nd floor office window I first see the mail truck across the street as the mailman sorts the mail into the neighbourhood mailboxes and then I eagerly watch as he pulls away from the curb and,,and,,?? Zoom he is gone. :(

But on those special days he angles slowly across the road and pulls up to my curb. The dog barks,,the bell rings and there it is. :D

Yup, I'm hooked.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
A funny but accurate observation!

Our old UPS driver used to come in and have his lunch break chatting with my Grandfather. I once ordered a live Christmas tree that he had to deliver! Anybody that could deliver that without rolling his eyes is top shelf in my book. He retired and his replacement just tosses, honks and pulls away.

I did once stop the USPS carrier about 6 houses from my door to ask if he had anything for me. That's bad...lol

High Pockets

Practically Family
I swear to ya, the crunching rumble of a UPS truck slowly coming down my long gravel driveway is more beautiful than the sound of me own mother's voice.

Karyl

New in Town
In Germany we've got LOTS of delivery companies. And if I order something private most of them are pretty sinister and unfriendly, even if you're nice to them. But if I ordered something for the last company I worked for, it was really nice with them. They came, talked with me, drank a cup of coffee and made jokes :)

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Depending on what I am expecting, it can be an OCD problem for me. I will track that package online every hour to see if there has been an update on its location. Ground shipping is torture if the package is coming from the west coast because there are usually no updates until it gets to Tennessee. If they had a map with the GPS location of the plane or truck were, I would probably stare at it for hours. Finally, when the tracking page says "out for delivery," I do the Snoopy dance in my head.

barrowjh

One Too Many
USPS Tracking

Yes, I too have noticed that a USPS tracking number is almost useless; makes you wonder about whether they are really using those numbers, because if they are not scanning them at each exchange point, then the number only provides data about whether it reached the distribution destination (your local main post office). If a package is lost, it would provide no clue about where along the line it was misdirected, other than 'somewhere between origin and destination.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy