Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PDA - Where is the line?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
HistWardrobe said:
I nominate Lizzie for the Best Post of the Week award. Excellent points, very well written. I was going to post the same photo myself had she not already done so but couldn't have made those points half as wittily and certainly not as succinctly. Well done!

And now I have a new word to use: "Squicky!":eusa_clap

Siirous

One of the Regulars
And here I was thinking this was going to be a thread on all the useless bells and whistles on handheld PDA's.:eusa_doh:

As far as the PDA discussed here goes, I don't really see a lot; until I go to the movie theatre on a friday night where the highschoolers loiter. I assume it fades with age.

Rob

Strider

One of the Regulars
otterhound said:
I'd rather see a PDA than a PDV (Public Display of Violence) any day!

Not me. The former would be much more entertaining.

scotrace said:
... with that famous ingredient in wedding cake. ;)

:cry: ain't that the truth! ;)

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Eh, I don't mind, I'm sure I would do it if I got the chance. I can't let my envy make me bitter towards people who have something I don't. Sure, it can get out of hand, but alot of times I just think 'how sweet' and then take another shot.

Hiram

New in Town
On the one hand, I find overly-zealous spit-swapping to be somewhat crass and uncouth—I also remember being severely reprimanded for making out in the back row at church when I was 16. On the other hand, I'm also wondering how I might react if someone asked me if I would mind dressing down a bit in public, because not everyone can dress as sharp as me.

Steve

Practically Family
Strider said:
Not me. The former would be much more entertaining.

You and I need go to a mall and do this sometime:

http://www.guzer.com/videos/banned_xbox360.php

Back on topic, I see most teenage relationships today as terribly objectifying. The couple is no longer two individuals, but an organism. They're always hanging on each other or making out in public. I was once at a hockey game concession stand where the guy in front of me was tickling his girlfriend's butt. I couldn't believe he was doing that in a public setting.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I learned the hard way to be discreet. I used to date someone I worked with and when I went home, he'd give me a hug and a kiss in the parking lot. That was all the PDA we showed.

Then we broke up.

Nevertheless, people still asked, "How's Jack?" "What were you doing all wrapped up with Jack?" I continually ended up talking about something I wanted to leave alone. :(

mysterygal said:
I just find it more annoying than anything, especially the whole tonsil hockey display! It is not something that should need a public audience.
But seriously, why should French-kissing be private? Is there something ugly about it? And if it is ugly, then why do we choose to French kiss at all?
Why is eating pizza or spaghetti in public any less distasteful-looking to us than kissing is?

LizzieMaine said:
(BTW, I have always loved the expression on Grandma's face just behind and to the right of the happy couple.)

Sad to say, a lot of rapes (and other barbaric acts) occurred on VJ day. This "couple" has never been found, so we don't know if they were even a couple or not. Plenty of guys just grabbed women off the street and kissed them (or more). I see no sign of consent in this nurse's body language. She may well have been grabbed against her will. Hope the sailor's breath didn't reek, eh?

In any case, a bit of public deep kissing between consenting partners is preferable to some guy gluing his mouth onto some less-than-willing stranger's face.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
french kissing is not gross...very enjoyable, really. This is just opinions remember Veronica.
To me, just kissing, from a simple pec on the cheeck/lips to french kissing, does not offend me...well, unless they are getting way too into the french kissing where it makes everyone around feel a bit awkward....it is the placement of hands..usually the guys that just does not belong for a public scene.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
But seriously, why should French-kissing be private? Is there something ugly about it? And if it is ugly, then why do we choose to French kiss at all?
Why is eating pizza or spaghetti in public any less distasteful-looking to us than kissing is?

you're right ! it shouldn't be private. in fact we should all stand and stare at the next couple french-kissing. we could form a circle around them and take snapshots. maybe throw them some change.

Slippery slope argument, eh? It won't wash.

Do you stand and stare at guys eating chicken at a picnic? No? Good.

In Chile, we don't touch chicken, ribs, sandwiches or pizza with our hands: we use forks and knives. I, for one, don't like to see people pawing and gnawing on greasy bones in public, but so what? I just "keep it under my hat."

The bone-gnawers may be offended by your wearing of vintage suits. So what? They should "keep it under their hats."

I know you can find better things to do than stand and stare at couples engaging in major PDA. Just let them be.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I agree it's not the greatest look of fingers and hands greasy and covered with barbeque sauce. It is the same with the in your face make-out scenes. It's not like you're staring, but like ladies with their thong hanging out of their pants, or other parts spilling out...it's just there, in your face, and something you could have gone your whole life without seeing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24