Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat in the UK. Where ?

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
If youre looking for a wool peacoat, i strongly suggest you to go vintage (a kersey one) or an Sterlingwear issue (some choice on Ebay).
If it's the leather version, it's imported by Silvermans in UK (the Black version), if you're looking at the Brown (as me), visit Ebay or imported yourself from the U.S (beware of the shipping cost and the 30 % Duty and VAT taxes).
For more information, consult Peacoat's thread here on the forum ("Peacoat dating").
Cheers,
F68

wdw

One Too Many
Some would say that Schott has a bit of a chav vibe in the UK, and they do like their labels. At least the logo on this peacoat is subtle.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I bought a black velvet one from TK MAXX, and NO I'm not posting any photo's:eeek:. It's my go to work coat till I get my Aero Teamster.

persnick

Banned
I would never consider an Aero teamster as a suitable work coat--leather usually is not used for work environments, so far as I have seen

Aether

One of the Regulars
Hello,
If youre looking for a wool peacoat, i strongly suggest you to go vintage (a kersey one) or an Sterlingwear issue (some choice on Ebay).
If it's the leather version, it's imported by Silvermans in UK (the Black version), if you're looking at the Brown (as me), visit Ebay or imported yourself from the U.S (beware of the shipping cost and the 30 % Duty and VAT taxes).
For more information, consult Peacoat's thread here on the forum ("Peacoat dating").
Cheers,
F68

+1

This is what I did, I've got a early 60's USN Peacoat and it's great. You'll not get similar quality in a modern version, and if you find a nice one you won't regret it. I paid about £40 including shipping, best buy I've made in a while...

If you're ever in London you could also try the vintage shops around Spitalfields Market/Brick Lane, I've seen a few of them around at OK prices.

persnick

Banned
Why not just wear something suitable from the start? I guess that makes sense if you are huge on how you look at all times though.

Peacoat

Bartender
It's good to know that you guys have seen the light and bought vintage. Perhaps some of my preaching has done some good.

Any of you guys in the U.K. ever seen a Royal Navy peacoat? That seems to be a most elusive item to pin down. Sorta like Sasquatch--some have allegedly seen them here and some have allegedly seen them there, but no one even has a picture of one.

persnick

Banned
Vintage is a good way to go, but it is a little daunting--you have to know what to look for---It takes a lot of time and knowledge...I don't have as much as expertise as you probably do, so I resort to new out of ignorance.

Edward

Bartender
It's good to know that you guys have seen the light and bought vintage. Perhaps some of my preaching has done some good.

Any of you guys in the U.K. ever seen a Royal Navy peacoat? That seems to be a most elusive item to pin down. Sorta like Sasquatch--some have allegedly seen them here and some have allegedly seen them there, but no one even has a picture of one.

Never actually seen one. The most beautiful peacoats I have ever seen are (West) German, I believe. Lined inside with the same wool as the outer. I've had two across the years - they still turn up here and there in traditional army surplus type shops, for a fraction of the price of the Schott (usually around GBP50 or so). This sort of thing:

C10.JPG

The ones I had were probably 1980s deadstock (bought in 1990 and 1997, if memory serves), but I don't believe the design has changed much since at least the Great War era.

I've also owned one something like this for a few years:

854-2812.jpg

Normally listed as "US style". Wool mix outer, poly inner and stuffing. Not as nicely cut as the German jacket, but still very practical. Long before I owned a sheepskin, one of these kept me very warm indeed during an especially cold snap in NYC, February 2004.

I have not worn either for a number of years, but just this past week or so I have been clearing out a lot of stuff and giving some serious consideration to revisiting them as casual jackets.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Hey Peacoat,
Do you watch "Finding Bigfoot"? My wife doesn't believe, but I do. They did one segment here up in Dutchess Co. We're 60 miles north of the Bronx. I guess there are some in northern Dutchess. Even though we're in southern Dutchess I hope I don't see one in the woods in back of my house.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey Peacoat,
Do you watch "Finding Bigfoot"? My wife doesn't believe, but I do. They did one segment here up in Dutchess Co. We're 60 miles north of the Bronx. I guess there are some in northern Dutchess. Even though we're in southern Dutchess I hope I don't see one in the woods in back of my house.

One of my old girlfriends lives up that way. That may be her you see in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails