Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders

Which dates? I suspect that the dates in the 40s and 50s at the bottom are "deceased" dates. The date in the middle (all of them 1904, here) are the date of arrest, with the offense given below that date. Two for "stealing (?) bikes" (1 month, and 2 months in jail), one for "shop breaking" (8 months), and the last for "false pretences" (fraud of some kind yielding 3 months in jail). The pictures are no doubt from 1904.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, so they are far earlier than the series and not really useful for Cap comparsions.

I guess the customers took more inspiration from the sydney mugshots.

Which dates? I suspect that the dates in the 40s and 50s at the bottom are "deceased" dates. The date in the middle (all of them 1904, here) are the date of arrest, with the offense given below that date. Two for "stealing (?) bikes" (1 month, and 2 months in jail), one for "shop breaking" (8 months), and the last for "false pretences" (fraud of some kind yielding 3 months in jail). The pictures are no doubt from 1904.

I can't imagine the numbers at the bottom are any sort of date, as they make no sense if they are. They appear to just be some sort of sequential numbering of the mugshots.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I'd hazard a guess the last 'date' on the cards would be 1952...I think they're just sequential numbers?...I enjoyed episode 2, as for getting the topside in the 'gypsy' camp well I guess you don't get to be the top gang in the area by being nice?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
as for getting the topside in the 'gypsy' camp well I guess you don't get to be the top gang in the area by being nice?

The last people I knew of to cause trouble in a gypsy camp got out of there damn fast (they almost knocked me off my bike). When they finally got out of prison, they didn't dare show their faces back in town. Lucky to get out alive would be my thought.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Stiff collar without a tie/bowtie strikes me as illogical. Wearing a stiff collar is more of a fuss than binding a tie?

i just looked through the 'Crooks Like Us' book and there are several examples of stiff collars without ties. this is one:

013_zps2df917a3.jpg

i bet it was on the Peaky Blinders mood board (he even has the severe short sides).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i don't really see the series as being very high on realism; more of a half remembered urban folk tale set in a romanticised past. within that context i have no problem with the barmaid. actually i have a bit of a weakness for her accent. :p

The top one, I'd like to see the pre-shots. There are actually areas of Liverpool (where most of the filming was done) that still look like this.

For now. They've just approved the razing of another swath of perfectly serviceable streets/buildings like these. Not to put up more housing of course. No, a Chinese-funded "business park" with plenty of kick-backs and "all-expenses-paid "fact-finding" visits to Guangzhou and Shenzen" for councillors. Shocking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW