Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil skirts...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I like to wear pencil skirts and little vintage sundresses with those $4 Chinese mary janes in the spring and summer. I have really long legs, so I can get away with flats, but heels definitely add to a pencil skirt ensemble...I just hate walking long distances and dancing in heels!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I dress it down

I worn my navy blue pencil skirt wit a button down sleevless white shirt and some espandals (sp) to a cocktail business party the other day. I turned heads with my tattoos showing everywhere. lol lol :p (to corporate america)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_leqgkbBpod1qzwdjso1_500.jpg

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I don't have much of on opportunity to wear pencil skirts in my job, sadly, but I did recently buy a couple of thick jersey high waisted pencil/tube skirts in the sale at Warehouse. They're slightly more 80's than 40's but are incredibly comfortable and flattering on and can be dressed up with heels or down with flats. They look good too with knee length boots.
I tend to wear skirts dressed down with a fine knit jumper or simple boat necked top and kneed length flat (riding style) boots at this time of year. I get so sick of always wearing trousers when it's cold!

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I also hear you on the "sick of wearing trousers when it's cold." Today's outfit: tweed pencil skirt with boots that end 2" below my kneecap and a red cardigan over a cami. Appropriate for work and casual yet toasty. And I still feel like myself. Heel on the boots because I love heels. And boots. And because whenever I wear flats, my husband asks why I have on old-lady shoes.

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
Question about pencil skirts . . .

I love them. They look great on me and I have several. Only problem - I'm, erm, amply blessed in the hips and rear. One of my skirts, in particular, and several I have tried on in the store, tuck in 'nicely' around my derrière and rather accentuate that vast mass. A small waist doesn't help - I've got close to a 15' difference between the widest part of my hips and my waist.

In addition, I'm student teaching at a private christian middle school this year and let's just say that's not the picture I wish to paint of myself!

Have you ladies found any particular patterns or styles that alleviate this ill? I know all too well that pencil skirts in stretch fabric make it MUCH worse, but I still haven't pinpointed what makes some skirts do that and others not.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Elizabeth, I so know what you mean about that! I also have a very ample derriere! :) I've got a 14 inch difference between waist and hips! I don't exactly have a solution for you... When I am lucky enough to find a pencil skirt that is big enough across my hips, it's usually way too big across the waist! One solution that I've taken to, is to remove the lining in the cases where it's a non-stretch polyester one, because the skirt itself is often a bit more generous than the lining!

It's nice to hear someone with a curvy figure saying they love pencil skirts! I also love the look of them - on others! I'm just recently starting to wonder if I'm brave enough to wear them even though it makes me look SUPER curvy!! I always wonder if this is actually flattering or if it just makes people notice that I have a huge rear! :D Maybe I'll post a picture for you lot and ask your advice!

Question about pencil skirts . . .

I love them. They look great on me and I have several. Only problem - I'm, erm, amply blessed in the hips and rear. One of my skirts, in particular, and several I have tried on in the store, tuck in 'nicely' around my derrière and rather accentuate that vast mass. A small waist doesn't help - I've got close to a 15' difference between the widest part of my hips and my waist.

In addition, I'm student teaching at a private christian middle school this year and let's just say that's not the picture I wish to paint of myself!

Have you ladies found any particular patterns or styles that alleviate this ill? I know all too well that pencil skirts in stretch fabric make it MUCH worse, but I still haven't pinpointed what makes some skirts do that and others not.

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
Believe me, I will NOT be wearing those skirts to school . . . after discovering their 'merits' I might not even wear them around campus. I'm in a guy dominated major and let's just say I dislike attention. =P

I've got one skirt I absolutely love - homemade, beautiful welt pockets, in a lovely boiled wool. Sadly, the pattern is a bit too complicated to copy (two matching welted pockets in the front that have two darts converging on each of their corners? NO THANKS) so I'm back to square one on finding a good skirt. That particular skirt, though, does have an interesting feature - it's got a shaped back, with four panels across the back and kick pleats at the bottom. I'm wondering if that's a key - some space in the seams to shape the skirt nicely across the hips, and then give gentle ease from there on down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy