Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil skirts...

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I adore pencil skirts and love the look with a pretty feminine blouse and stockings with heels.
What I'm unsure of is how to wear them more casually.
I'm thinking of wearing one today with a boatneck sweater and ballet flats,but wonder if a flat is the wrong proportion.
How do you dress them up and casually?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think they can look very nice when paired with flats and even with saddle shoes or loafers for a more collegiate look. However, when wearing skirts with low heels or flats, I think the length of the skirt is important--too long and the combination is not always as flattering to your legs. I prefer to wear them just at or below the knee for the most flattering line with any style of shoe.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The lower the hemline, the higher the heel is the rule that works for me -- it helps to balance out the overall line, which is important since longer skirts draw the eye to the ankle.

Another good casual look might be with a sweater set -- something in a bright color, maybe?

Brooksie

One Too Many
How about a shoe with a kitten heel and a button down blouse with a collar, tuck it in and put on a belt that matches your shoes and of course do not forget some nice pearls to wear with your ensamble.

Brooksie

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This is a very good question.

Sadly, I only have one pencil skirt. And I've always worn it with a fancy pant blouse and heels. So casual me!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Here's my go at it:

l_6f5a8a1c9f48430e6739551f3748557a.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
What an adorable outfit, and I love your hair! I wish I had saddle shoes, but if I did, I think I wouldn't wear them as I hate my legs in flats...they look all stumpy!

Aw thanks... :eek:

Kimberly

Practically Family
This is the pencil skirt I am going to wear tomorrow. It goes right below my knee and I am going to wear a heel about 2 inches high with it.

bluesuit.jpg

Brooksie

One Too Many
rubyredlocks said:
Great suggestions ladies.

I do love the collegiate look,but wonder is it appropriate for my age(37)?

I went to a FL event last month and I had the collegiate look (instead of a pencil skirt I had on a circle skirt with the saddle shoes and bobby sox and I am almost 39 and I thought it looked pretty good.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Saucy Kimberly, very nice. And you have the highest cheekbones I think Ive ever seen! :D

LD

Yes, the cheeks have been one of the things I was born with. Of course there is a lot of padding there too and I used to get them pinched all the time from elderly women when I was a little girl. :rolleyes: :D

I am going to wear it with a blue cami (I don't have a blue full slip :( ) and navy blue shoes with a cherry pin. It will be cool enough here in Mass. tomorrow for me to get away with it. I would have died in it today because it was so humid here. The jacket is a light linen, but I was sweating in a light rayon dress today. :eek:

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I used to wear mine in a similar fashion Brooksie(still a fave look).I think I just started to question it when I gained a larger clientalle of private schoolgirls and we're wearing the same shoe.

StraightSeamGal

New in Town
Hmmm i sometimes i wear a pencil skirt with a plain polo neck or crew neck t-shirt in a colour like Red, Navy, Black or White , this keeps it chic looking just a little more relaxed.

LizzieMaine -
"The lower the hemline, the higher the heel is the rule that works for me "
I think i may make this may be my new mantra, its possibly the best advice i ever picked up.

Pink Dahlia - You look as cute as a button
Kimberley - Very nice indeed and i second that cheekbones comment, they are amazing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats