Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pendleton Jackets

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hello fine lounge people,

I was just curious about Pendleton Jackets. I don't know much about them other than I really like the labels, so I was wondering if you all could inform me...

When were they made?
How can you tell the age?
Are they worth much now, or is there a demand for them?
And any other useful tidbits would be appreciated.

I see them in thrift stores from time to time and was just wondering if they're worth picking up.

Thanks a bunch!

Dave McCone

New in Town
Pendleton is still very much alive and kicking - see:

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/splash

they also have outlets/mill stores in Pendleton OR and Washougal WA - see:

www.pendletonmillstore.com

I'm not certain of exactly how long they've been around, but at least from the late 1800s/early 1900s. They started out by making indian blankets.

I've been in the Washougal store several times over the years. They've always had various jackets. Their labels (blue background/yellow or gold thread haven't changed that much since the 1950s.

The folks at the mill stores have usually been very, very helpful - if you give them a call they can probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the company.

Pendleton items have generally been a Pacific Northwest staple for as long as I can recall -- most guys I know have at least a few Pendleton wool shirts in their closet. They generally don't wear out. In general, they are looked upon as very high quality woolens, albeit with a Pacific Northwest twist.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As mentioned- Pendleton shirts and jackets have been a staple for many years- the collars and other small details are good pointers to the age.
BUT- labels with the "Woolmark" point at being '64 or newer- the Woolmark logo was designed in 1964. Many of the Pendletons you see on eBay have "Woolmark" logo-ed labels.
BellyTank

Lauren

hey, thanks guys. do you think the ones without the "woolmark" tag are worth picking up, or or they not very valuable, since there were so many?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Watch a few Pendletons on eBay for the duration of their auctions and see. There are a lot more womens' than mens and some of the womens' ones are really nice- "tailored" and with nice details- the "outdoors" type jackets and shirts are pretty kool casualwear and also don't forget the more "business wear" type suits and jackets.
Some of the vintage Pendleton womens stuff is really kool.
BTank.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I own and wear a Pendleton grey wool car coat when it gets REAL chilly down here, and let me tell you, it's a God- send when driving my old 50 Plymouth in winter weather. Well made, and comfortable as the dickens! Regards. Michaelson

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I have quite a few vintage Pendleton wool jackets. I remember seeing a vintage ad for this particular style of men's Pendleton jacket that gave it a name, but I can remember. I only know that it wasn't called a smoking jacket. These are self portraits and I look awful...all worn out after a day's work...so don't laugh.

Lauren

Ooh! lovely pics!

I do remember one of the girls at Costume College this last year was into 1940's living history reenactments and she sported one to some classes. They really have a great look about them! But I doubt I could find one in my size...

I think you have a good idea in wearing one for winter. I may just have to alter one to wear with the 40's slacks I'm going to make up.

Thank you all for all your knowledge! As I said before, they were always something I was curious about and drawn towards, but I did not know how the "vintage crowd" felt about them!

Lauren

I looked them up on Ebay last night and saw some similar stylings! They really are great looking jackets, aren't they? I noticed the sizings are bigger, though, so probably not much hope of finding one in my size. But I just bought this pattern on Ebay so I can make a remake. I just need bigger buttons than pictured and it looks like I'm in!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool stuff! You know, you need to go to AAARDVARKS! You can find them there some times! For CHEAP!!! I have a friend that find those from time to time for only $8.00! She has a lot and they are in a larger size. She may have some she would let go of. I'll ask and see for you.

The pattern idea is good, but you should keep you eyes out for a 40's pattern. That one is more 60's and it shows. But, any way, you can find an original whith no problems if you know where to look.

Root.

Lauren

Yeah, the pattern is late 50's. but the styling looks almost identical to the one I guess they call a "49er" jacket (like the one posted by Belly Tank), because, according to a seller on Ebay, that's when they started their women's line (1949). If your friend has any she's willing to part with in an XS, or the vintage equivalent to that, I'd love to negotiate!

Thanks a bunch!
Lauren

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Memories!

Those patterns remind me exactly what my mother wore. All the ladies did. They used to come over to the house in the afternoons..and play cards and have their "hi-balls" before husbands got home from work. Us kids played outside or watched TV...yes that was early to mid 1960's....those patterns were popular up until the 70's for whatever reason they faded from the fashion scene.

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is from 49? I have my doubts. I have seen these in films from the early 40's. They were very popular with the young jitterbug/bobby soxer crowd. Look at the collars, they are way longer and sharper then the 50's ones! In the 50's they got smaller and not as flashy. But, I'm not an expert on women's wool Pendleton coats. These had real abalone buttons that is a mark of the real 40's and early 50's ones.

Any way, take a look on ebay and ask around at your vintage shops there in San Diego! Frock You vintage should have a few of these! Wear it again Sam would too I would think. They are very easy to find.

Well, good luck in your findings.

Root.

Lauren

This is from 49? I have my doubts. I have seen these in films from the early 40's.

You know, that's my thoughts as well! I was so sure I had seen Kate Hepburn in some similar with slacks, which was the look I was going after. You know, the early 40's woman "rebel" who takes up trousers OUTSIDE the war effort! jk.

I'l have to look up some pics. I'm pretty sure I can alter that pattern to an earlier style, and of course, a true vintage piece is always to be admired :)

Lauren

Ooh! I almost forgot!

What styles do men usually prefer, and what styles were popular for which eras? So guys look for vintage pendleton jackets, and if so, how much do you think they generally go for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic