Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats hat hook

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed that all the wooden items on John's site look to be of super quality.

Funny, I have three hat makers sites bookmarked, Art, Tumwater and Penman and John is the one I've yet to do any business with. I like the way he promotes his business - very much the modern hat company.

I really like his hats so it's only a matter of time...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
The hook looks gorgeous, don't get me wrong. You can tell the attention to detail and the craftsmanship. And also As another lounger commented earlier, with so much stuff we put in our pockets these days, I wish the hook were a tad smaller.

EggHead

Practically Family
Make it a key chain and/or remote garage door opener or a belt buckle?

I am also thinking of Max Smart shoe phone thing, but that may be a stretch!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Very well done Mr. Penman! I like it. This is the sort of device I'd come up with...in fact was thinking along similar lines, something just for my own use. Seems very nicely made of wood, and considering the sales volume for something like this and time spent in crafting, a reasonable price.

Free suggestion, for what little it may be worth:
1. Two thicker side pieces, plus thinner central piece which is shorter. Glue together.
2. Flip-out peg pinned through side pieces, flush with them when retracted, held at angle by end of central piece when extended.

The advantage is one-piece construction and faster deploying. Still retains wood construction and lovely appearance of your product. Nothing wrong at all with the original, just similar to what I was pondering.

Congrats on coming up with a solution to a frequent problem for 21st century hat wearers!
And I hope to order a hat from you one of these days.

- Bill

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
2. Flip-out peg pinned through side pieces, flush with them when retracted, held at angle by end of central piece when extended.

The advantage is one-piece construction and faster deploying. Still retains wood construction and lovely appearance of your product. Nothing wrong at all with the original, just similar to what I was pondering. - Bill

Yes!

bendingoak

Vendor
If I understand you correctly it would restrict it to one direction and make the body two pieces???????

And how much time are you really going to save?

Last edited:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
If I understand you correctly it would restrict it to one direction and make the body two pieces???????

And how much ti e are you really going to save?

Hi John, sorry for any confusion.

So very hard to put mental and visual images into words. Please forgive me my failings in that regard.

There's various paths to the same result. Some might involve routing one piece of wood, others might glue pieces together. I was looking for the easiest and most economical pathway.

Anyway, the fundamental idea was to have a one-piece item that could be deployed by the flick of a finger. Yes, I understand it's not that simple because you need to secure it to various seat backs, and I get that and think your approach is the right one.

Basically, think of this as three elements:
1. Side pieces which are solid.
2. Central piece which fits into a slot (routed or glued up).

The central piece is hinged to the side pieces with a pin. It could be metal or wood. I'd surely go with metal due to the diameter. Drill hole and hammer it in.

The central slot is shorter. When you pull out the hook part (I called that the central piece), it stops against the shorter part in the center and makes an angle. The same angle as your drilled hole for the peg, more or less. Geez, I wish I could just draw this here.

Anyway, nothing against your original design.
Just want to point this out:
There's lots of folks that will nod and say "OK".
Others that will say "Perfect, couldn't be better!"
Then there's others that think you're really onto something and care enough to comment.

Hope you understand. I support you and your good work.

- Bill

bendingoak

Vendor
No worries at all but I think you lose something that way. To have the different angles to hang off of. I still think this is far better route to take. I wanted to be use in both direction. That's most important. by splitting the would in half, having a hinge and metal piece like you suggest would really bump up the price. Please believe me when I tell you there was a lot of effort, time and thought put behind this. This project began the beginning of december of 2009.

I also think this way it's more stable and will last a very, very long time. The more moving parts the easier it is to break. Things to consider. Remember, bulldog tough.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I understand that one hole is used for the hanger in a vertical position, and it's located toward what I'll call the bottom of the hanger. Then, there's a hole for the horizontal position, but what is the use of the third hanger hole? Is it there for symmetry (to make the triangle of hanger holes), or does it serve a different purpose?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do we really need to go there? The man is the post before you. If you think it is expensive fine but I don't think you need to mention his craftsmanship. There are places for that and IMHO this particular thread is not it.

PS I don not own or am in the proses of owning a Penman Hat

Jeff

Ok, so I guess it's your right to torch me for venting.

Aureliano, you're right, I'm done here.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Does this remind anyone else of the chain-hangar scene from Raiders?
I was just out of college when I first saw the film and bought that hook line and sinker.
I can just imagine at the next city council meeting, whipping this contraption out and starting in on the assembly ...

Anyway, it looks neat, if you happen to have the right chair to attach it to.
Maybe a double ended hook with a chain in the middle that could hang from any chair? That way you could pull it out of your pocket and relive the Raiders scene!:)

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I still think the chain would be fun to pull out at a public meeting ... or better yet, at the airport, and see how the TSA would react.

Then again, maybe not ...

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
Not a Facebook groupie either but I could watch the video when this thread first started but cannot access now. Perhaps Facebook changed their access/privacy settings again - for which they are becoming infamous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR