Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penney's Marathon Genuine Hopoka

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
At a nearby flea market I picked up a nice-looking straw hat for $10. It's a Penney's Marathon with a very fine weave, albeit stiff (says it has been weatherized), and has an imitation leather sweatband. Very good condition since the only one like it that I could locate was a 1943 Penney's ad offering it for $1.49.
My burning question is: what the heck is hopoka? I've never heard of it and surfing the net only tells me that in the extinct Wappo language it means 3. That's not much help.
Surely somebody around the lounge must have heard of this type of material.:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would guess some kind of bangora. Lots of brand names floating around for the same thing.

Here are some I've had. I have two more which are variations on the one top right, but I don't have decent photos of them. Do these look like what you have?
bangora.jpg

Last edited:

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
My Hopoka hat

Thanks. I think my hat fits right in with the photos. Anyway, I like it and it's in good shape. The sweatband was a bit dried out and wrinkled, but I worked some hand lotion into it and cleaned it and it's coming along very nicely. I'm going to wear it a little longer, even though this is supposed to be fall. Fall? Hundred degree weather around Sacramento, but where there are lots of politicians, things are always heated. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles