Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PERFECT PANTS for You !

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Howdy folks! I'm posting more than I should, but here's a thread with a mission.

A while back, Scotrace started a thread about his search for the perfect pair of pants
( http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=81451&postcount=1 ).

Recently, our own Paddy asked me about the dimensions and look of really nice vintage trousers.

So, here goes nothing. Below are photos of the best-looking, best-fitting vintage trousers I've ever come across. They're from a suit made in 1949 by Oxxford Clothes. A good mid-weight wool with heavy cotton pocket and waistband linings. Inverse ("British") pleats and watch pocket.

If you wish, please feel free to show the images to your tailor, or use them for inspiration during your shopping hunts. I've also provided the measurements, though most of those numbers would have to be modified for your own physique, whatever it may be. (I wear a size 33 waist and 31" inseam.)

Front:

Newestt038.jpg
Newestt045.jpg

Front closeup:

Newestt039.jpg

Inside front closeup:

Newestt046.jpg

Back:

Newestt040.jpg
Newestt047.jpg

Back closeup:

Newestt041.jpg

Inside back closeup:

Newestt051.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The measurements are as follows. Measured flat, not on me.

Waist: 33 1/2"

Height of waistband: 1 1/4"

Depth of outer (inverse) pleat: 1/2"

Depth of inner (inverse) pleat: 3/4"

Length of zipper (fly): 10 1/4"

Outerseam: 44 1/2"

Inseam: 31 1/4"

Width of seat: 23"

Width of leg at thigh: 15 1/2"

Width of leg at knee: 12"

Width of leg at bottom: 9 1/2"

Height of trouser cuffs: 1 3/4"

Hope this helps!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That is just fabulous. Thank you so very much, my friend!

After all those time-consuming photographs, I feel timid in asking to see them on you, but I will just the same! :)

Feraud

Bartender
Good to see you posting Marc.

A question about the suspender buttons. The front buttons are inside the waistband and the rear are on the outside.
Is this common?

The real Henry

Practically Family
I may be wrong, but I think the cut look pretty much like the one of 1940s pants from a suit I own. Here are some pics:

2s84sxt.jpg

448554k.jpg

2hz1e7p.jpg

I like this pants very much,but I some times think the legs are a bit to0 narrow at the bottom, though they really aren't!(About 9.5")

Regards,
Henrik

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
A question about the suspender buttons. The front buttons are inside the waistband and the rear are on the outside.
Is this common?

It was common for trousers made by Oxxford Clothes. Also, did you see the very unusual lining treatment (waistband and pockets) .This was also a signature of Oxxford Clothes. It may still be.

Jovan

Suspended
The real Henry said:
I like this pants very much,but I some times think the legs are a bit to0 narrow at the bottom, though they really aren't!(About 9.5")

Regards,
Henrik
I assume, of course, you mean laying flat. :p

A friend of mine's suit line has the trouser cuffs at 15" in circumference! That's one of the few things that has me debating whether or not to buy one from him. I'm fine with the Thom Browne standard of 16.5", but somehow an inch and half less has me on the fence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR