Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Period cloting attitudes, period.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I am usaully right on the moeny in the way dressing different age groups for WWII reenacting. But I am stumped! My friend sent me a jumper pattern in a size 40 bust! She wanted to know if it would be appropriate to wear for reenacting. I know that just as today, just becasue it's made in a larger size does not mean it should be worn by the larger middle aged woman. I know it depends on the style. Could a 40 year old really wear a jumper and blouse set? It just doesnt look right to me. I would figure someone in there 20s would be a better fit.

Samantha

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
A jumper/pinafore with a short sleeve blouse and a cardi looks just fine on a 30 something. I have also worn a jumper/pinafore as a sundress, if it provides enough coverage. I think it depends on the style. I've seen jumper/pinafore patterns that have ruffles and frilly bits and I have seen jumper/pinafore patterns that are streamlined. An older lady probably should stay away from ruffles for reenactment.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
retrogirl1941 said:
I am usaully right on the moeny in the way dressing different age groups for WWII reenacting. But I am stumped! My friend sent me a jumper pattern in a size 40 bust! She wanted to know if it would be appropriate to wear for reenacting. I know that just as today, just becasue it's made in a larger size does not mean it should be worn by the larger middle aged woman. I know it depends on the style. Could a 40 year old really wear a jumper and blouse set? It just doesnt look right to me. I would figure someone in there 20s would be a better fit.

Samantha

You might see an outfit like that on someone in her thirties, or even forties, in an informal setting, but you probably wouldn't see it in town. It'd certainly be more common on someone in her twenties, but some early-middle-agers (and 35 was generally considered the onset of middle age) might be able to get away with it.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Thats what I was thinking, no ruffle! lol This jumper is very streamlined but something aboutit doesnt look right to my eye for someone in there early 40s.
I will have to post the picture for everyone to weigh in on.

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Ok here is the pattern:
GetAttachment.jpg

I would think if I added sleeves to it and made a few dickeys that would look more age appropriate.

Samantha

LizzieMaine

Bartender
retrogirl1941 said:
Ok here is the pattern:
GetAttachment.jpg

I would think if I added sleeves to it and made a few dickeys that would look more age appropriate.

Samantha

Something like that would be fine as-is, made up in a solid-color fabric -- ginghams and plaids and such would make it much more youthy. The sort of jumper that would be very hard to sell for a middle-aged gal would be the Dorothy-in-the-merry-old-land-of-Oz look, with the bib front and shoulder straps, but this style is more adult-oriented.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'm 43 with a 42 bust.

I'd have no issue wearing that pattern as pictured, no adjustments. In fact, I have a 50's style jumper/blouse pattern tucked away until I can find someone to help me construct it. As the ladies already stated, I just couldn't carry a ton of frill or a pinafore look.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Retrogirl, that looks like an age appropriate outfit to me. It's not over the top like some jumpers and ruffles. I could totally see someone in my old family photos wearing this. Cute little pattern!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't see a problem with it. It looks really tame and innocent compared to what I'm used to. I'm 34 and I'll wear anything I like, though.lol

Inky

One Too Many
For re-enacting accuracy that style does not seem too youthful for a 40 year old war-time woman. The touch of ruffle on the blouse is feminine without being youthful. I would agree with Lizzie that a solid color would be best, and I think in a darker color as well (dark green, navy).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I agree with everyone. This would be fine at any age. I think the only exception to the solid color rule might be a menswear suiting, like navy with a white pinstripe, houndstooth or glen plaid.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I agree with everyone else in thinking it looks very appropriate for any age. Casual,but polished.

For my personal taste, I would love it and I am 40. Although,like AmyJeanne I wear what suits my fancy. For me vintage is a way to express my creativity, and doesn't pinch the purse strings nearly as much as high end designer. So not all the old rules apply.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
two thumbs up

I have a black jumper which is almost exactly your pattern, and it's one of my standard dance "uniforms" because it is so versatile. I am in that middle age category, and I find it incredibly flattering to the figure. I'm not a great fan of flashing flesh, rather defining the silhouette, and this model is so nice as it nips in at the waist and "accentuates the positive" :D .

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Double thumbs up with the rest of the crowd. I could totally see myself wearing the set in a bit of a "cute school teacher" fashion. It isn't like the sort of jumper I think of as being a co-ed only look. I'd wear it in a heart beat! Oh, and thats my size, so if you just can't quite swing it... ;)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Thanks everyone for weighing in! Just for another refresher I am wanting 1940s clothing attitudes not modern day style takes on this outfit. I will have to see what my friend wants. If anything, I will be making one for me(Im only 23)!

Samantha

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
retrogirl1941 said:
Thanks everyone for weighing in! Just for another refresher I am wanting 1940s clothing attitudes not modern day style takes on this outfit. I will have to see what my friend wants. If anything, I will be making one for me(Im only 23)!

Samantha

I guess you're right. The only opinion I'm able to offer is that of a 43 year old curvy woman living in modern times. Lauren mentioned something in her blog once about "going to the source". It sounds so simple but is easy to overlook. So, I'll echo her advice, "go to the source". Look at old photos and to some extent, old movies. They will give you a barometer of what middle aged women were wearing. I looked for a bit and still didn't find that jumper combo to be wrong for the age. I also found much larger women gussied up in ruffles, flounces and embellishments on formal occasions. One very mature gal was in a very strappy evening gown, something I wouldn't be comfortable in today.

Here's a great place to start. This is a link to some still shots from the movie "Since You Went Away". Actually, rent the movie as it's fantastic!

Granted, Claudette Colbert is not a plus size woman, but she should portray the right age. You can also see the fashions of the young adult daughter and the teen daughter for comparison. In one still, Claudette appears in a simple checked number, split in front like a jumper with a long sleeve blouse. Notice how tailored it is and the more sophisticated fabric pattern used than Shirley Temples jumper which is more pinafore (minus ruffles) and has the short puffy bow tied sleeve? I caught a glimpse in the still shot I'm including.

http://www.fanpix.net/picture-gallery/0666197/since-you-went-away-pictures.html

eqenief1im9j1fmn.jpg

In this picture, Claudette is in another jumpery type dress. Shirley is dressed nearly as tailored as her mother.
eqelhf44r5nnhl4e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran