Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perms.

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Color, alone, does not give me the body that I need, not even remotely, so I do periodically perm my hair. My hair is heavy and resistant and does not take well to hot rollers/steam rollers, curling irons, etc.

To each their own. A bazillion stylist could tell you a bazillion different opinions, as is happening here. lol

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Eliza said:
To each their own. A bazillion stylist could tell you a bazillion different opinions, as is happening here. lol

Exactly! What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. You could have a set of twins with identical hair one they would probably have different opinions on what they like/don't like about thier hair.

BTW Mamajama, if your hair is still a rather super short bob I wouldn't reccomend perming. I think you'd feel like a pyramid head. The length of Julianne's in Prize Winner would be good tho, http://www.stfrancisparish.com/Graphics/defiance.jpg
Nikki

SarahLouise

Practically Family
My hairdresser Nina (of the vintage hair parlour fame) has suggested that I should try a perm just on the bottom lengths of my hair, not all over. She has admitted that my hair just does not like to corporate and her efforts of curling and styling it are wasted as my hair just wants to be stick straight. She is going to experiment and let me know the results. I am hesistant to try a perm to be honest because I dye my hair (semi-permanent) and have heard all of the usual horror stories!

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Semi's are not as damaging as permanent colors - a gentle perm designed for color treated hair should be fine, IMO. Bear in mind that sometimes a perm will lighten your haircolor somewhat.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Eliza said:
Semi's are not as damaging as permanent colors - a gentle perm designed for color treated hair should be fine, IMO. Bear in mind that sometimes a perm will lighten your haircolor somewhat.

It's only within the past 5 or so months that I've been using semi-permanent. I've got a 'backlog' of evil permanent black still in my hair which is the result of dyeing it for 7 years. I've had the colour removed professionally several times and it's now brown but it's still not as light as I would like it to be. I think I should give my hair a rest to be honest!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Ohairas and Eliza, for information on perms for those of us whose hair has thinned.

I may try it to at least give my hair some body, also may wait until January. It will be a full year, then, since I went off the medication and, by then, my hair should grow back if it is going to grow back.

I would never want to dye my hair -- I waited 30 years to get this lovely silver-gray color. I enjoy it and want it to grow naturally. I earned every one of those gray hairs and am proud of them.

I just want to grow more hair and am hopeful that, when it returns, it will be silver or white!

karol

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Some ladies look devine with their grey or silvery hair.... wish I did but I don't :rage: So, me and Miss Clairol have a permanent date every so often.;)

VivaciousLady

New in Town
Apologies for bumping this (somewhat old) thread!

I just signed up to get a "body wave" on Saturday. My first ever perm. :eek: I don't have colored hair. My stylist is great, but I'm not sure that she got me when I said "40s hair"! lol I shoulda brought a picture, but I couldn't decide on who to bring in!

I realize this won't give me instant vintage hair, but will it get me any closer?

My hair is straight as sticks and takes more effort than moving mountains to get it to stay wavy (though I haven't tried lottabody yet, but it wouldn't be worth it on my terrible rag curls). I'm hoping this will cut down on that time and be easier to style into a good 'do in the morning. [huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Vivacious, since this is your first perm, I would think to yourself..... would you rather have it come out curlier than expected or less curly? That's what I always ask my clients.

She may want to opt to use the biggest rods possible for your first time. That way if you don't like it, it won't last as long but the chemical change will still be there to help with your sets.

Or if you want to be sure and "get your money's worth", you may opt to go a bit more curly esp. if you'll be setting it anyway. Depends on your hair length and type of course. I certanily wouldn't use anything smaller than purple rods. Orange rods would be a good start, sight unseen that is!

Be sure to show us!
Nikki

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
You could try a wet set before trying out the actual perm to see if you like the size of your curl. When you do get the perm make sure they put a neutralizer shampoo in. I remember a hairstylist forgetting and it caused a lady to have a big bald spot on top of her head.

melbournian

New in Town
I got a perm last year just for something different, and it turned out pretty well. I have dead straight, very thick hair which usually refuses to hold a curl so was unsure about how long it would last, but it's been fine (I've since had it redone and am due for another next month). I just asked for a loose curl. A day or so after washing I can usually brush it out to a wave. I find with a perm too, when I curl my hair it stays in really well.

hair without perm:
166432011_fd750b8f75.jpg

hair with perm: (I'm the non-bearded one...excuse the lack of makeup!)
n685622796_451461_5468.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Just keep in mind that a perm will never look like a wet set, so if you do try a wet set with the perm rods first, it won't really be true to size, and a perm will hang a lot differently.
Melbourn, you're a doll! Your hair looks great straight and curly. Is that your beau? He's quite handsome too!

I got a pic of my SIL, who has EXTREMELY kinky curly naturaly wavy hair. This is a great pic of what I mean by brushing it out. She hates the curl, and uses a hairdryer with a brush attachment to rake thru it every day. Her ends show some stress from this, plus she only lets me cut it like every six months because it shrinks so terribly, lol! But anyway, if one were to do a vintage style, I think this would look awesome if she raked through the top but the left the ends to curl up a bit more. I've got her using the Paul Mitchell smoothing products, and it's really looking great.
Doesn't it go in the most gorgeous marcel looking waves! I would love to party with her hair, but she'd have no part of it. Not a girly girl at all. [huh]
Nikki
2218422768_2c82ed77d1_b.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Just keep in mind that a perm will never look like a wet set, so if you do try a wet set with the perm rods first, it won't really be true to size, and a perm will hang a lot differently.

Good thing you told me. The teachers at my beauty school don't know much. They said it's the same. I think I'll need to do research each time they say something to make sure it's correct.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
;) You've heard the saying about teachers... those you can't do, teach.
Most of the cosmetology teachers don't have much hair experience from a real salon.
Nikki

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
;) You've heard the saying about teachers... those you can't do, teach.
Most of the cosmetology teachers don't have much hair experience from a real salon.
Nikki

It's so sad how true that really is. I think I'll be asking you more questions in the future. You're very knowledgeable. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
Melbourn, you're a doll! Your hair looks great straight and curly. Is that your beau? He's quite handsome too!

I got a pic of my SIL, who has EXTREMELY kinky curly naturaly wavy hair. This is a great pic of what I mean by brushing it out. She hates the curl, and uses a hairdryer with a brush attachment to rake thru it every day. Her ends show some stress from this, plus she only lets me cut it like every six months because it shrinks so terribly, lol! But anyway, if one were to do a vintage style, I think this would look awesome if she raked through the top but the left the ends to curl up a bit more. I've got her using the Paul Mitchell smoothing products, and it's really looking great.
Doesn't it go in the most gorgeous marcel looking waves! I would love to party with her hair, but she'd have no part of it. Not a girly girl at all. [huh]
Nikki
2218422768_2c82ed77d1_b.jpg
I should post a pic of my hair when it's curly. I would love to be able to use some of the natural curl to my advantage. Right now my routine is to wash it. Pull it back in a pony tail wich takes at least 24 hours to completly dry, Striaghten it with a curling iron or flat iron, then roll it up with pillow rollers over night. I have to do this every two to three days.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Good to see this thread back up! I'm now past the length of Julianne Moore (whom I LOVE) from the pic above and and am closer to shoulder length, but waiting for it to grow out more before I go curly. Sigh. Waiting. :) It's great to read all of the commentary on it because I'm afraid to jump into anything without research!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
how funny, i was thinking about starting a thread about perms this morning!

i'm thinking about getting one. my hair is a little below shoulder length, very fine, and very straight. i have some subtle layers and the back is cut in a slight U-shape. what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn