Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PET PEEVE HAT

hatflick1

Practically Family
Perhaps this topic has already made the rounds of the Lounge.
But here goes...
Is there one type of hat/cap that, well, just leaves you cold?
My nomination is the dreaded Greek Fisherman's Cap. Don't ask me why.
Every time I see someone wearing one of these I want to direct them here to the Lounge so they can explore other non-Zorba options. Okay, no. I just wanna grab it off their head and toss it the way Clark Griswold threw his son's beret off the Eiffel Tower in National Lampoon's "European Vacation". I believe in the movie a dog jumpd after it and both splashed into the Seine.
Share your dislikes if you haven't already. Maybe it's not even the hat as much as the way it's worn.
Sound off!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The modern campaign hat

...has changed radically in its journey from utilitarian headgear to emblematic "cover."

THEN: Soft. Worn level. A symbol of stalwart youth and noble ideals.
r1929.jpg

NOW: Stiff. Worn down. A badge of absolute authority and menacing role-play.
usarmy.jpg

Has any other hat seen its meaning so totally changed?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind Greek fisherman caps at all.

I don't like baseball caps much, or trucker caps, but I hate hate hate them when they're in denim, and "decorated." All of the following are so hideous that a single viewing of any of them in the flesh will cause one's eyes to dessicate and drop out of their sockets like raisens. Yuk.

denim-hat.jpg
fot-ballcap.jpg
Baseball_Cap.jpg
DG_Denim_Black.jpg
denim_hat.jpg
ah050_lrg.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
I am most repulsed by the plaid or woven wool stingy brim fedoras of the End-Of-Hats era (1960s). One example is the houndstooth hat worn by Paul 'Bear' Bryant. As an Alabama alum, I can say that is a butt-ugly hat, and it not be taken as just a negative comment from a fan of a different college football program. It, and all of its cousins, are ugly.

I have one irish wool hat that has a short brim but it was not intended as a fedora, it is just a crushable wool hat, and its haphazard look is ok, not talking about such less-structured hats.

I also despise the mini-mart plasticized cowboy straw hat that Alabama's present coach is making popular in those parts. If I could afford it, I would buy him a grey fedora with maybe a Stratoliner type crown, with a 2 5/8ths brim, and a crimson silk sash-style ribbon alternative, all of these proportioned to the crown as appropriate.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I detest baseball caps unless one is on a golf course or a baseball diamond period. The gag reflex takes over when I see an adult wearing one: with a t- shirt jeans and tennis shoes. Good Lord Beaver, you forgot your glove! You are not 12 anymore, grow up!

It seems most baseball cap wearing men have no manners at all. They refuse to remove them when indoors or at a dining table nor will they remove them when our national anthem is played, it's disgraceful.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:

I actually think this one is kind of cute. (i.e. I can picture deelovely or Vintage Betty doing justice to it.)

It's the double knit ball-caps with something (anything) written on the front that I most dislike. But, when I see one, I usually don't have to look at it very long!

ShortClara

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
I actually think this one is kind of cute. (i.e. I can picture deelovely or Vintage Betty doing justice to it.)

I'm sorry to tell you J.T., but I'm afraid it's fugly. Nothing to be done. It would fug the lady underneath with the stench of it's pure fugliness.

rotten03

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
Fez or pith helmets, more please. :D
Gimme caps, never want to see again.
Newsboy caps on females, dorky. Try another fad, ladies.

The Fez. There's a mysterious piece of headgear. Aside from the shriners did anyone where a Fez? Wait Turks right?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My pet peeve is both a kind of hat and the way it's worn. Living in the inner city suburbs of Sydney is a subculture of hillbillies who have never even seen actual grass and who have never been further out of their concrete environment than two kilometres from the city centre, yet they insist on wearing bootcut jeans, cowboy boots and hideous cream or white straw cowboy hats. They drive oversized vintage trucks with stickers on the back proudly proclaiming them to be 'trailerpark trash' and they have the manners and musical tastes to match. And those ugly blasted hats . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24