Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Bros or Federation - HELP

Whithead

Familiar Face
So I am in Fort Worth for business and took a walk at lunch. On the way back to the hotel, I passed a hat store so I went in (Peters Bros). I didn't realize it was such a well known place (although it was very cool!) until I got back to the hotel and jumped on FL.

My dilema:

(1) I have a 61cm Brown Federation IV (not the deluxe version)at home which fits pretty well.

(2) Peters Bros has a Brown rabbit/wild hare fur felt blend fedora (yes, I know...not the top of the line but at $205, it works best) that would be custom fit and I kind of like their "bullet proof" finish.​

Do I get the Peters Brothers and sell the Federation or stay with the Federation?

I am here through WED and probably won't be again so I need to decide ASAP...any advice would be appreciated but not neccessarily followed! ;)

Thanks!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I am in Fort Worth for business and took a walk at lunch. On the way back to the hotel, I passed a hat store so I went in (Peters Bros). I didn't realize it was such a well known place (although it was very cool!) until I got back to the hotel and jumped on FL.

My dilema:

(1) I have a 61cm Brown Federation IV (not the deluxe version)at home which fits pretty well.

(2) Peters Bros has a Brown rabbit/wild hare fur felt blend fedora (yes, I know...not the top of the line but at $205, it works best) that would be custom fit and I kind of like their "bullet proof" finish.​

Do I get the Peters Brothers and sell the Federation or stay with the Federation?

I am here through WED and probably won't be again so I need to decide ASAP...any advice would be appreciated but not neccessarily followed! ;)

Thanks!

Looks of the hat rule in my book. A Federation is like an Indiana Jones hat, and the one at Peters Brothers you are looking at is probably different somehow. If you have to pick one, pick the one that is most compelling on you, and which goes with the most clothes so that you get your use out of it. But why either/or?

But why either/or?

Indeed.

Parting with a couple of hundred clams is deserving of at least some consideration (in this household it is, anyway), but really, if you can afford it, and if you like the way the hat looks on you, well, treat yourself to a new hat. You'll probably have the thing for many, many years, right? So that makes it easy enough to rationalize the purchase. After all, it ain't like it's gonna go out of style next week. Hats have been more or less out of style for 50 years or more now. That's part of what makes 'em cool.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Can you have a fitting done and the sizing recorded with the option to phone/web order later? If so, maybe a cooler head is the way to go.

Of course, instant gratification from a legendary hat shop is a good reason to be hot headed.

That's my best non-responsive answer.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
GET THE PETERS BROS. !!! My family has worn their hats for OVER 50 years ( I live just east of Ft.Worth) and I still have two of my fathers ( they are at Peters Bros. as I write getting re-furbed). You WON"T be sorry !! :)

fenris

One of the Regulars
I have both. The FedIV is the everyday hat while the PB is my "need a nicer hat" hat. My PB isn't the bullet-proof one, though... it's soft but can take being steamed without tapering.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Looks of the hat rule in my book. A Federation is like an Indiana Jones hat, and the one at Peters Brothers you are looking at is probably different somehow. If you have to pick one, pick the one that is most compelling on you, and which goes with the most clothes so that you get your use out of it. But why either/or?

Indeed. I try my best not to buy unless, when I put something on, I looove the way it looks. Of course, it has to be comfortable, too.

Mr. Paladin

I'm quite fond of the Peter's Bros. bullet-proof style, especially with the wider brims, though I don't own one yet. I would pick that one if I had to pick.

Whithead

Familiar Face
Well...I went and got one and, to paraphrase the guy at the beggining of "12 O'clock High", it was one of the most enjoyable 45 minutes I've spent buying a hat.

My thinking came down to:

1. It's a really cool hat.
  2. When will I be here again to take advantage of a personally fitted hat.
  3. They'll have a template so I can order additional custom hats later.
  4. Will it be something I kick myself for not doing when I am home.
  5. It's a really cool hat.
Joe Peters did the fitting and I got the rabbit/hare brown fedora/stiff and a hatbrush.

Only down side - delivery scheduled for FEB...probably will be worth the wait!

Thanks for the input everyone...I'll try and put pictures up when it arrives.

danofarlington

Well...I went and got one and, to paraphrase the guy at the beggining of "12 O'clock High", it was one of the most enjoyable 45 minutes I've spent buying a hat.

My thinking came down to:

1. It's a really cool hat.
  2. When will I be here again to take advantage of a personally fitted hat.
  3. They'll have a template so I can order additional custom hats later.
  4. Will it be something I kick myself for not doing when I am home.
  5. It's a really cool hat.
Joe Peters did the fitting and I got the rabbit/hare brown fedora/stiff and a hatbrush.

Only down side - delivery scheduled for FEB...probably will be worth the wait!

Thanks for the input everyone...I'll try and put pictures up when it arrives.

It's your reason #4 that resonates with me. Often when I pass up good clothes--not just hats--when I had the motivation, means and opportunity (to borrow from homicide police procedure analysis), I kick myself later. Buying the darn thing when I was there would have spared me about the same money or more in grief I spend thinking that I should have bought it. So I think it is a good reason to buy--preventing passersby remorse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick