Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phono-Recorder.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
Here is something I thought I might share with every one. I think I have seen one posted before but could not find the thread after an exhaustive search ( mods, please feel free to move/merge this, if need be), so I have started a new thread.
I have had this for a while now but have only recently began to think about it. It is a Meissnger Phono-Recorder and PA system model No. 9-1065. It was made by the Meissnner manufacturing division of Muguire Industries Inc., which was based out of Mt. Carmel Illinois. I am not sure of the exact date on this, but am going to guess somewhere in the 50’s, as it cuts both 331/3 and 78 rpm. Everything works with the exception of the record cutting head. It is pretty cool.

2747692616_3beb60b104.jpg

2747692620_87ebdc1a68.jpg

2747692624_ba12f22fa3.jpg

2747692632_fc049257a7_o.jpg

A close up of the Control Panel. It has a Tone, Gain, and Volume Controls.

2747692636_e7aaeedd33_o.jpg

Their are two compartments for holding needels. One is labeled old and the other new. This panel liftes up to revel the Microphone storage compartment.

2746877377_64277ed747_o.jpg

An image of the microphone compartment. the orange label has a full schemetic on it.

2747692640_67d74205e0.jpg

The micraphone.

It is a bit rough yet, but I am in the process of restoring it. I would greatly appreciate any additional information or tips about restoreing somthing like this that anybody out there might have. I would love to be able to get this completely restored and start cutting records with it. That would be Grand.

Oh, and sorry for the blurry close ups, my didigetal camera is not that good.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Looks to me like a 40s or even late 30s unit - all the better, as they must be exponentially rarer than a 50s model.

I don't know where you could get disc blanks for these, or even if you could make your own. They were a high tech product at the time, made with very specialized equipment and processes.

Meissner deserves another special mention for putting out one of the first home CRT television kits in 1939. I think they were the first outside the New York area to do so.

Flivver

Practically Family
I have a 9-1065 too! Picked mine up at a flea market three years ago...neat piece of equipment.

It's not as early as it looks. It appears in the 1948 Allied Radio catalog. list price was $174.50...Allied's "net" price was $111.28. I had guessed late-1930s when I bought mine...but later research showed it to be postwar.

Also, your mike appears to be made by Brush...makers of some of the earliest home tape recorders in the U.S. Their BK-401 Soundmirror appeared around 1947.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
Flivver said:
I have a 9-1065 too! Picked mine up at a flea market three years ago...neat piece of equipment.

It's not as early as it looks. It appears in the 1948 Allied Radio catalog. list price was $174.50...Allied's "net" price was $111.28. I had guessed late-1930s when I bought mine...but later research showed it to be postwar.

Also, your mike appears to be made by Brush...makers of some of the earliest home tape recorders in the U.S. Their BK-401 Soundmirror appeared around 1947.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful indeed. I figured it had to be at least post war because it cuts at 33 rpm as well as 78rpm. You would not happen to know where I could find spare parts for the thing would you?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That is really cool. I saw a similar machine at a local antiques place, but it looked trashed so I didn't give it a second look. Also found quite a few discs that were made on machines like this at one of my places. If I see any blanks I will certainly consider getting them if anyone could use them. Not sure but there may be a few around.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Blank discs are still made and sold -- they're evidently popular among the hip-hop DJ crowd for custom mixed recordings. They are, however, painfully expensive -- as in $16 or so for a single ten-inch blank. Try http://www.apollomastering.com as one possible source.

You can try vintage blanks, but generally these give very poor results -- the lacquer has hardened over the decades, and gives a very noisy and uneven cut.

There's a pretty good chance that the problem in the cutting head is that the crystal has broken down. Garage-A-Records carries a lot of crystal cartridges, and might possibly have the one you'd need.

Cutting needles would be the hardest thing to find -- ebay is probably your best bet for those.

benstephens

Practically Family
How availiable are these. I am building (replicating) a BBC midget recorder from WW2, and would like it to work, I think I could adapt it with aother motor. We see very few of these over here.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Flivver

Practically Family
benstephens said:
How availiable are these. I am building (replicating) a BBC midget recorder from WW2, and would like it to work, I think I could adapt it with aother motor. We see very few of these over here.

Kindest Regards

Ben

The Meissner 9-1065s are reasonably common on this side of the pond. But these are strictly home-grade record cutters designed for occasional use.

A radio station would likely have used one of the professional models from Presto, Fairchild or Rek-O-Kut. These show up on e-bay from time to time but can get rather pricey...usually around $300 for the smaller portable models up to $1000 or more for the larger more serious models.

The Prestos seem to be the least expensive.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Blank discs are still made and sold -- they're evidently popular among the hip-hop DJ crowd for custom mixed recordings. They are, however, painfully expensive -- as in $16 or so for a single ten-inch blank. Try http://www.apollomastering.com as one possible source.

You can try vintage blanks, but generally these give very poor results -- the lacquer has hardened over the decades, and gives a very noisy and uneven cut.

There's a pretty good chance that the problem in the cutting head is that the crystal has broken down. Garage-A-Records carries a lot of crystal cartridges, and might possibly have the one you'd need.

Cutting needles would be the hardest thing to find -- ebay is probably your best bet for those.

Thanks for the info Lizzie. I am familiar with both sources. I bought a few blanks from Appolo Mastering when I first got my cutter and I am quite familiar with Garage-A- Records. I have bought a couple of turntables off of them and they are the home for all my Phono needs.

I was rather fourtunate when It comes to the cutting needles, the new needle compartment had close to a dozen of them in it when I bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo