Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos: My first Carlo Franco order

josepidal

New in Town
I placed an order for four ties with Audrey on Easter Sunday, and received the merchandise about two business days later. Prompt, convenient and painless.

I was looking for formal, versatile styles fit for a conservative profession such as law. However, I was also looking for surface interest as I believe this is the main way to make any of the narrow range of formal styles striking and distinctive, in addition to silk quality.

I was not disappointed when I opened the first box and ran my fingers through the silk, and this was at least as good as anything I tried at Saks or Bergdorf (in most cases, better). The ties were as beautifully textured as wovens go without becoming grenadines or garish. The floral designs were not as large as I feared, and it can be hard to judge scale from the closeups on the website.

The only surprise, if any, was that the silver dots on the red pin dot tie were much duller in color than what the website presents, but that's hardly a negative. If anything, the colors are a littler darker than what you see on the screen. The color combination of the navy and pink florals and navy and lavender dots was far better than what you see on screen, though. Also note that the camera flash in closer-in shots probably affects the color, but brings out the texture very clearly.

The guys in my dorm had a fun and curious time pulling out the boxes and opening them. I had a fun time explaining that the company owner was really named "Chuck Franke" (Carlo Franco, get it?) and almost everyone asked where the ties came from and how much they cost, as they really thought "Carlo Franco" was a well-known, very high end, very exclusive tie line given how striking the silk was at first glance (and, well, the "prominent "Made in Italy by hands of Master Tiemaker" tags they were reading aloud).

Seriously, one guy asked me if the ties were $400 each, and he began doing math when I said they were actually $99 each at the sale price (and immediately went to his room to check out the online catalog). No one freaked out when I mentioned the sale price the way people do when you mention AE (much less EG or Lobb) prices relative to Kenneth Cole duckbills, and they gave serious thought to how reasonable the price was for them compared to your Filene's Basement or Brooks sale prices.

I had a harder time explaining what a "seven fold" is, though, and a Russian guy asked why the ties were not stitched all the way at the back to close the folds.

In short, great buy. I'll be eating instant ramen for several weeks to offset this splurge, but I think it was worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925