Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of classic gas stations

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If anyone does the Tennessee tourist tour, Elvis, Gracelands, Beale Street, Sun Studios, Union Street, Nashville, Chatanooga and a myriad of others, make sure you get along to the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg. And once you have done the tour of the distillery, and had the lid of the whiskey barrel wafted up and down under your nose, so that the fumes send you reeling, and the tour guide jokes for the thousandth time: "All tax free," have a look around the gift shop, do the tourist bit, and then, wander out into Lynchburg, there's not much to see, it's quite small, but they do have an amazing preserved gas station. It's worth visiting Lynchburg just for said gas station.

TomS

One Too Many
If anyone does the Tennessee tourist tour, Elvis, Gracelands, Beale Street, Sun Studios, Union Street, Nashville, Chatanooga and a myriad of others, make sure you get along to the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg. And once you have done the tour of the distillery, and had the lid of the whiskey barrel wafted up and down under your nose, so that the fumes send you reeling, and the tour guide jokes for the thousandth time: "All tax free," have a look around the gift shop, do the tourist bit, and then, wander out into Lynchburg, there's not much to see, it's quite small, but they do have an amazing preserved gas station. It's worth visiting Lynchburg just for said gas station.

I like the way you think!

xXClockwork

New in Town
One of our local Sinclair stations, was the last regular gas station to carry 105 Octane back in the mid 90s. Now you have to go to special venders, and pump it into a container.
Wow, nice! Here is another old Sinclair a two minute walk from my apartment. The gates around it are never open, and every once in a while I will see the same truck parked inside. It has some cool neon signs (some of them Sinclair, if I recall) inside and is a nice sight at night. Not sure if someone has turned it into their own man cave or what. Cool nonetheless.

d7e8d37697e74c663df30e110d94d371.jpg

Enough

One of the Regulars
I friend of mine ran a European car repair out of an old Texaco Station in town. It was a nice corner location. Very small office with a storage room behind and two bays. Lots of found memories drinking a beer or two there after closing.

There's a well-restored '50s-vintage Texaco in downtown La Grande, Oregon, right next to the motel we stayed in Tuesday night last week. Marfak Lubrication and everything. The place has the general vibe of a museum (a pre-War [I think] school bus is parked there, as are some vintage cars), but it is indeed a functioning filling station, as best I could tell. The prices on the pumps certainly looked "modern" to me. I don't know if or how those old pumps were modified to accommodate today's gas prices, but reflect those prices they did. We arrived late at night, and left fairly early in the morning, so I can't say that I actually witnessed the place doing business.

I'd post pictures, if I could only figure out how to get 'em from my phone to my computer.

Last edited:
Email them from your phone to your computer, then, download them to a file and, then, you should be able to post. Hope this helps (as I really ant to see the Texaco station).

All I can think is to power off and on your phone and if that doesn't work, contact your cell phone provider and, as a last resort, your email provider (but if your email is working from your computer, I would think it's a cell phone or cell phone service provider issue). Good luck.

All I can think is to power off and on your phone and if that doesn't work, contact your cell phone provider and, as a last resort, your email provider (but if your email is working from your computer, I would think it's a cell phone or cell phone service provider issue). Good luck.

Odd thing is, when people send a photo to me in a text message, a copy automatically goes into the "camera roll" on my iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda