Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to visit in San Francisco

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I didn't read what everyone else posted but you should try to go to Alcatraz, it is really neat, but get tickets ahead of time online or you will never get to go. Oh and it is worth every penny.

Naphtali

Practically Family
SweetieStarr said:
Hopefully this is the right thread for this post, as I wasn't sure where else it fit.

Where are some cool/good/vintage (or non-vintage) places to visit in San Francisco?

Thanks!
SFO

Amtrak station

Greyhound terminal

French

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
There are lots of places to visit in SF.

[*]The Japanese Tea garden is pricey, but very beautiful. See if they have a free day while you are there.
[*]For scientific geeky fun, the Exploritorium can't be beat. It's somewhat geared towards kids, but there are plenty of adults in there enjoying. And on a historical note, as I understand it, was originally designed/run by one of the Oppenheimer brothers. It also uses architecture from the world exposition.
[*]China and Japan town are interesting. If you want to eat there, ask the locals where's a good spot.
[/LIST]

For eats:
  • The Stinking Rose is known for it's amazing garlic cuisine. (I've never personally tried it.)

I can attest to both China and Japan towns, interesting merchandise and excellent food (at a locals recommended spot).

I love the Stinkin' Rose, but be prepared to reek of garlic afterwards. If you like garlic, this is the place to go.

french

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Our family just had our "vacation" in SF over a few days last week. We only live an hour east, so it's not really a "VACATION", but the kids dug it.

We visited the Aquarium of the Bay on Pier 39 - very cool. they have underwater tunnels/tubes to walk through and you are surrounded by fish and sharks. the kids really liked the touch pools where you can stroke a bat-ray and a leopard shark.

Took a boat ride on the Blue and Gold fleet out past the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz.

Rode the Cable Cars up to Market St. and Back to the Wharf.

Visited the Maritime Society - it's a really small museum-y place at the end of Fisherman's Wharf.

The California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park is AMAZING!! The planetarium housed there was a truly mind boggling experience, as was the 4-story rainforest exhibit and aquarium. Much to see and do at the CAS!!

The DeYoung museum just across from the CAS is currently hosting the King Tutankhamun exhibit - it costs extra, but is about as "vintage" a collection of artifacts as you will ever see.

Have fun!!

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran