Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Planning my wardrobe

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
Hello Gentlemen, this is one of my threads, which nobody will probably reply to, but never mind.

Some time ago (in wrong section perhaps) I wrote rules about my future dress: they are here.

Recently I planned my suits more precisely and I decided to share it with you. :)

I will wear a silk, fancy, lighter (or darker maybe) coloured waistcoat and bow tie of material of similiar pattern and colour with all daytime outfits. Also the shirt with all outfits (evening too) will be stiff-fronted and worn with detachable wing or butterfly collar. I think that only single cuffs are appropriate, but if not, some of these shirts will have french cuffs. I will also wear a pocket watch, and maybe a chain fob with evening wear. A cane will be also a part of my outfit - malacca or bamboo during the day and black crooked handle after dark. Not forget about white pocket square and buttonhole! :) I will probably also add an umbrella.

The first one is daytime lounge suit, grey flannel. The shade of grey will be rather bright. It will be single-breasted, with three buttons. It will have pointed lapels, but no vents nor pocket flaps. I have not decided whether the trousers will be cuffed or uncuffed yet.
The shoes for these suit will be patent leather balmoral button boots with grey upper and punch cap toes or patent leather closed-lacing oxfords without cap toe. Grey spats may be worn. The socks will be grey (in colour of the upper of the boot) or some other colour, like maroon, navy, we will see what will suit me. ;) The hat for this suit will be black homburg or grey homburg with black band. The gloves will be grey suede outdoors and white silk or cotton indoors.

The second lounge suit will be off-white cotton or tropical-wool summer suit with silk trimming on the edges of the coat, pockets, cuffs and lapels, like here:

1905b.png

It will have step lapels, four buttons, no flaps and no vents. Cuffed trousers and sleeves. The waistcoat may be ommited. Shoes, socks - as for the first suit (no boots). White spats may be worn. Hat: straw boater. Gloves: white cotton or silk.

The next one will be a stroller or black lounge. It will have two black coats - one single-breasted, step lapels, no vents and flaps, two or three buttons, cuffed sleeves, second double-breasted, pointed lapels, no vents and flaps, either six buttons/button three, four buttons/button two or four buttons/button one. The trousers will be checkered with matching waistcoat (other waistcoats will be worn, too). Trousers cuffed, as were in vogue for strollers in 30's. ;)
The shoes and will be the same as for the first lounge suit, white or grey spats may be worn. Hat: black homburg (or maybe a bowler) or straw boater, gloves: as for the first lounge suit and lemon chamois.

Next will be two dinner suits - I will wear them every evening. One will be black, single-breasted (one button) shawl lapels faced in black grosgrain, no vents and pocket flaps (no silk on pocket slits), cuffed sleeves. The second one will similiar, but it will be midnight blue and the lapels will be peaked, faced in black grosgrain (and all silk facings will be black) and no sleeve cuffs. The waist covering will be either black or white cummerbund (which makes the informal dinner suit) or waistcoats (which make semi-formal outfit) - the first will be black, woolen with grosgrain faced lapes, double-breasted, four studs, U-shaped. The second one will be single-breasted (three studs), muslin or silk, V-shaped. The waistcoats will have matching bow ties. With white set I want to get look similiar to this:

1901_SAJ_Sator_sweetened.jpg

The shoes will be patent leather pumps, with bows, not some awful ribbons. ;) Hat: straw boater or black homburg. Gloves: white silk or cotton, and maybe outdoors grey suede.

Ok, I think that is all. Of course I am welcome for questions and suggestions. ;)

Best regards, Dr

P.S. Do not mind my avatar, this is not connected to wing collars, stiff-fronted shirts, patent leather shoes, never mind... ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner