Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playtex #4693 vs.modern style bra- PICS

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Since a couple of ladies were interested in this brassierre for wearing with vintage clothes, I decided to do a photo test so you could see a comparison between this bra and a "regular" modern style bra. Hope this helps those interested in choosing to buy the Playtex or not. Its a very comfortable bra to wear. The down side is its high up on the chest and you cannot wear a lower cut top, as another FL gal also mentioned. I do like this bra as a good foundation piece for 1940's.

I have on close fitted new but vintage style Ralph Lauren waist length cotton sweater over the bra. There is a darkish beige tight fitting camisole on over the bra to help eliminate show through.

The first two pics here are closeup bust shots, in profile. The shot on the left is the Playtex #4693. The shot on the right is the best fitting bra I otherwise usually wear that my 34DDD busty self fits well in. Made in France bought at Nordstrom. BTW, the Playtex costs $19.80 on sale at Kohl's, the Frenchie is $85.00 full retail at Nordstrom.

I can tell for myself that the Playtex shape is a more pointed and higher look. In a word, the girls are out there! The breast tissue is contained better, more forward facing towards center front. Not as much bounce as in the other bra. The Frenchie shape is lower, more forward and very rounded in comparison. The breasts tend to spread out towards the sides of my chest.

359742375.jpg
359742384.jpg

The next two pics are a shot pretty much full on from the front. The left pic is in the Playtex, the closeup on the right is the Frenchie.

359742372.jpg
359742391.jpg

As I can now see in the last two pics here, I think the Playtex bra creates (at least for me) an attractive, feminine, and surprisingly pretty shape. Looks better than what I had been wearing! I'm going to make this Playtex bra part of my everyday life when the neckline can warrant it, whether I'm dressed vintage or not.

Blondie

Practically Family
Thank you SO much for doing this !!!! A true champion :eusa_clap
You have inspired me to go try on bra's, and will def. give the playtex a whirl
I want to the boobies in my avatar pic heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This is very interesting. I used to wear the Playtex bra, then got fitted at a specialty shop and moved towards high-end bras. I've been wearing the $80 for a year and dreading buying new ones. I think maybe I just wasn't buying the right size Playtex, because I had major drooping. I may try one in my current size, since I've seen them online in much larger cups than in the stores.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Woooo $80 dollars!?
What kind are they?
Well, I've gotten to the point that I'll pay for quality. The thing that sucks about undergaments is that you need so many of them. I like to have at least 5 or 6 bras, but I have a hard time coughing up 30 bcucks a bra. Shoot, I'm having a hard time understanding the cost or underwear being 8-12 bucks and still having them rip...Total junk! :mad:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Woooo $80 dollars!?
What kind are they?
Well, I've gotten to the point that I'll pay for quality. The thing that sucks about undergaments is that you need so many of them. I like to have at least 5 or 6 bras, but I have a hard time coughing up 30 bcucks a bra. Shoot, I'm having a hard time understanding the cost or underwear being 8-12 bucks and still having them rip...Total junk! :mad:
I generally wear Freya, Fantasie or Panache brands. Also, I wear a "specialty size", so I've never seen one in my size for $30. When you wear a 36GG, you're willing to pay anything for support.

Inky

One Too Many
great side-by-side comparison!

I just got my Playtex 4693 bras this weekend ($19 each at the local Bali/Hanes outlet). They had a VAST variety of sizes and colors, I purchased a beige and a black, but may go back for a pink one just for fun.

I agree, you can't wear it under anything but a higher neckline, but the silhouette is terrific. Just goes to show you that newer/more modern and/or more expensive isn't always the better solution.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage style bra for lower cut tops??

tempestbella, what did you get?? I have one 40's dress that you would see the Playtex bra due to a net section in the bodice. Its a lovely print and a well fitting dress, but can't wear the Playtex. On the left side you even see my black slip strap in the picture.
359518268.jpg

QUOTE=tempestbella42]great thread!! thanx chanteuse..
i got a platex last yr and love it!! but have to wear another type for lower necked tops!:)[/QUOTE]

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
This is very interesting. I used to wear the Playtex bra, then got fitted at a specialty shop and moved towards high-end bras. I've been wearing the $80 for a year and dreading buying new ones. I think maybe I just wasn't buying the right size Playtex, because I had major drooping. I may try one in my current size, since I've seen them online in much larger cups than in the stores.

I feel your pain Kamikat, I wear the same brand bras you do because I can't find my size in regular dept. stores or Victoria's secrets:( And the prices are rediculous :rage:

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
tempestbella, what did you get?? I have one 40's dress that you would see the Playtex bra due to a net section in the bodice. Its a lovely print and a well fitting dress, but can't wear the Playtex. On the left side you even see my black slip strap in the picture.
359518268.jpg

QUOTE=tempestbella42]great thread!! thanx chanteuse..
i got a platex last yr and love it!! but have to wear another type for lower necked tops!:)
[/QUOTE]

i just got the classic aall over lace....in white and natural..http://www.playtex.co.uk/classicsupport.php

unlike any other i love the fact the straps stay put!!
lovely dress, ive a 1950s simular one...just the net at top no extra pattern..
will try with the nude bra and see how it looks.....

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carey, you are a heorine!
Ladies, you should see Carey and the family all dressed up, it is a delight. I was lucky enough to meet and bond with them last month!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Oh it's SUCH a shame they don't go down to my back size in this bra. I wear exclusively vintage bras these days as I just don't think the round shape I get in modern bras looks right under vintage clothes. I've only got 3 that fit well though and could really use some more. I bought about 12 vintage bras on Ebay ranging in size from 28EE to 32B before I found any that fitted! I'd love to be able to buy new bras - What Katie Did bras don't fit me either sadly.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have you tried Cameo Intimates? The site has risque photos, so I won't post the link here. They have standard bullet bras and will also do custom bras in your size.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Well out of my price range I'm afraid, especially when you add on international shipping! Thanks for the tip though - if I ever feel rich I may splash out, although I don't understand how they can really do a custom made bra over the internet - there are some things you just can't describe with measurements!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
Well out of my price range I'm afraid, especially when you add on international shipping! Thanks for the tip though - if I ever feel rich I may splash out, although I don't understand how they can really do a custom made bra over the internet - there are some things you just can't describe with measurements!
Agreed! I've had that site bookmarked for years, hoping I could afford their services one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn