Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help! Dating a Vintage British Hat

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I didn't get a response in the "Dating a hat" thread. I guess most of the regular Loungers hardly ever look at the stickies. I am hoping for some information from the experienced hat collectors here.

I have this hat from a British maker called "Streamline super". It has a Union tag by the Felt Hatters & Trimmers Unions. It has a very thin, soft leather sweat band with a taped rear seam. Open crown is 5 1/2 in and brim is 2 in.

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.jpg

Thanks,
Rudie

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Rudy,

I don't think I can be of much help to you, but that is a neat old hat.

I wasn't able to find anything on Streamline Special on UK Google, I wonder if that was the manufacturer or was it the model?

Seems that the Felt Hatters and Trimmers Union was in existence in the UK back as far as the 1880's, I wasn't able to see when this was wound up, or incorporated into another union. Hopefully someone will be able to come up with more info.

Great find! I am sure the Union tag would be helpful in dating. My guess (based on construction) would be late 20s early 30s (it might be older).

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! My guess was early 30s, too. Unfortunately the leather sweat band is damaged beyond repair. I got it for a song, though. Just £5.

I tried to find information about the Union tag. I found one source that stated this Union's tags were in use from 1895.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Great find! I am sure the Union tag would be helpful in dating. My guess (based on construction) would be late 20s early 30s (it might be older).

Yep, Steve's estimate looks right to me too - general construction, esp. the liner and sweat suggest around early 30's if not a bit earlier. Neat hat.....

RobStC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner