Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poirot's Style

From the books i always viewed Poirot as a stuffed shirt. not a dandy at all, just very very obsessed with details. And hopelessly out of date.

That is, exactly as portrayed in the first Suchet outing: Mysterious Affair at Styles. Black bowler hat, black suit etc etc etc.

And i've never thought Suchet's moustaches absurd enough. Heavily waxed, yes, but from the books i'd expect something much larger.

bk

Josephine

One Too Many
I adore Suchet's Poirot. I'm a big Christie fan and Finney and Ustinov were never dapper enough in my eyes, they were too sloppy and shoddy. I think Suchet really nails Poirot. I think his mustache is fine, any bigger and it would be too much. And I I think his stature is good, not to big, not to skinny.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Desert Formal Wear

Last night I was watching the continuing Hallmark marathon of Poirot.

It's okay.... even my 15 year old is asking his parents "Are you both watching Poirot again?" ....Whatever! [huh] [huh]

Last night Poirot decides to visit the Valley of the Kings (by driving down there in an open roadster!) in the same suit he wears around London. It's a King Tut's curse/Howard Carter/Lord Carnarvon ripoff. Having been there myself in May this is more than bizarre... Hot? Tell me about it!

The best is when they "dress for dinner" in the evening in a Bedouin tent. Poirot wears the proverbial British 20s stately home style with the winged collar etc. Hastings - typically - wears a marvellous 1936 version of the bellied pointy cream DB with the satin lapels.

They are in the Egyptian desert with a group of "Yalies" from the USA (who are the other adventurers).

It is interesting culturally how they juxtapose the American equivalent of the formal look of that era.

The Yanks all wear the bellied shawl collars or more "casual" looking formal wear not unlike that which became popular again in the 80s (though not so wide in the lapels).

More Palm Beach than Luxor.

eightbore

Suspended
I love the "Valley of the Kings" episode! The absurdity of driving from Cairo to Luxor any month besides November through February is definitely over the top. Doing it without AC and while wearing Poirot's standard gear is borderline suicidal!

eightbore

Woland

One of the Regulars
Being an amateur faqir at heart, I woke up after a wet night out with an aching head/heart and traces of joyful body-piercings in the night...
(A vague memory of using the needle from a rusty badge for the purpose, :beer: .)

Turned on the telly; in the middle of said episode of Poirot.

Quote;
The jaw has broken because of the convulsions.
I do not think he will last the night...

(Bad case of Tetanus...)

A bashful and somewhat introverted young man showed up at his Physician half an hour later.
"Can I please have my shot?"

Now; I am older... :rolleyes:

Poking holes in my self ain't that fun anymore.

Instead I spend evenings cuddling up with the Missus whilst watching our extensive collection of Agatha Christie dramatizations.
Recently bought the complete series of Poirot (58 episodes) on DVD.
David Suchet of course, none other actor will do...
Been saving the DVD bonus material for a rainy day...

And; the complete Miss Marple, when done by Joan Hickson.
Bad Girl...

Anyway; I strongly recommend the DVDs.
(The Missus does me home-knitted versions of Hastings pullovers. :D )

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
bellied pointy cream DB with the satin lapels [...] bellied shawl collars or more "casual" looking formal wear
"bellied"?

What means this "bellied"?

istockphoto_2927852_professions_tenor.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
I think the spats really hold him down as a 20s tragic who will not entirely get with the 30s program.

Uh-oh . . . methinks this marks many of us here as 30's-40's tragics who won't get with the 2000's program! :eek: lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Poirot is NOT Unusual!

cookie said:
Last night Poirot decides to visit the Valley of the Kings (by driving down there in an open roadster!) in the same suit he wears around London. It's a King Tut's curse/Howard Carter/Lord Carnarvon ripoff. Having been there myself in May this is more than bizarre... Hot? Tell me about it!

Maybe I got a bit ahead of meself.:eek: I was just looking around the London Lounge and discovered these:

"1922: Resplendent in Norton & Sons tweeds, philanthropist/bounty hunter Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter discover the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings, Egypt."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24