Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Favorite Brim Size

What is your favorite brim size?

• 1 3/4 inches or less

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2 to 2 1/8

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • 2 1/4 to 2 3/8

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • 2 1/2 to 2 5/8

Votes: 79 45.9%
  • 2 3/4 to 2 7/8

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • 3 or more inches

Votes: 11 6.4%

• Total voters

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another one (poll)! Count me in the 2 3/4 crew, although 2 5/8 is a close second. I have many more 2 3/4 brims with my ORs and fedoras, not to mention westerns.

animator

One of the Regulars
2 5/8 is my favorite... I need brims to be at least 2 1/2. Anything thinner and my wife thinks my hat has shrunk. I wish I could pull of a 3 inch brim.

W_B_K

New in Town
I range between 2" and 2 1/2", with 2 and 2 1/4" being my personal favorites.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
In general it's true that 1/8 of an inch can make a really big difference.

But for some 2 3/8 and 2 1/2 might look very similar. They may look more alike than would (for example) 2 1/8 contrasted with 2 1/4 (or 2 5/8 contrasted 2 3/4).

Here's a possible theory. While you are in your sweet area you can play a bit. Once you are out of your sweet area every 1/8 inch can make a big difference (since it can push you right out of your comfort zone).

Additionally, just how strongly small increments can strike you can also depend on the overall proportions of the particular hat in question.

Somehow or another I missed this poll until today. I've voted. :D I tend to go with wider (over 2.5 inches) but there has been a hat or two with a narrow brim that managed to look good on me.

Interestingly, another thing that has an effect on subjective brim width is the brim binding, if any. To my eye a contrasting edge binding can make the brim width appear narrower than it actually is, as the eye seems to measure from the edge of the binding in to the crown. Conversely, a brim binding can also make the brim look wider than it is. I think that which one happens probably has to do with a combination of colors, width of the edge binding on top of the brim, the amount of contrast between the felt and the binding.

I can't put it more specifically than that as it's not something I've really concentrated on, just an impression I've noted in passing.

Cheers,
Tom

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
To my eye a contrasting edge binding can make the brim width appear narrower than it actually is, as the eye seems to measure from the edge of the binding in to the crown. Conversely, a brim binding can also make the brim look wider than it is. I think that which one happens probably has to do with a combination of colors, width of the edge binding on top of the brim, the amount of contrast between the felt and the binding.

I can't put it more specifically than that as it's not something I've really concentrated on, just an impression I've noted in passing.

In addition to color, brim binding and ribbon, crown height and shape dramatically impact perception of brim width (so too the amount of curl in the brim).

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've recently found that, as far as fedoras go, I like the 30s-ish look w/ a tall crown and a somewhat narrow brim. I voted for 2 1/4--2 3/8. For any other type of hat, though, I like my brims 3'' or wider.

fmw

One Too Many
I didn't see the comment about rating fedoras before I voted. My favorite hats are 3" brimmed westerns so I voted for 3" or more. For fedoras I like 2 3/8" so choice #3 would have been better. Sorry.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm pleased, yet startled, to see I'm right in the most popular group, 2 1/2" to 2 5/8" brim. Usually I'm at variance with nearly everyone else in any group -- they like hot weather, I like cold; they like crawfish, I dislike the way they look and how much effort you have to put in the get a tiny gram of meat; etc.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
When I first joined the forum I was into brims 3" or larger but my tasted have evolved through exposure on TFL. Now my ideal brim width is 2.5" and I have shifted to wearing a traditional fedora rather than an outback style i preferred before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW