Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - How old...?

colleency

One of the Regulars
I grew up in a Spanish Revival that we believe was built @ 1919. We found some newspapers bricked into the chimney from that year.

I lived in the second story of a Victorian painted lady for a year.

I currently rent what we believe was post-war housing. The neighborhood went up quickly after the war. We are in one of two houses on the block that have never been remodeled. I have no idea what to call the style of the house, but we found lovely wooden floors under a rather frightening green/gold shag rug from the 1960s.

Now you folks have made me wish I had a few pictures to share as well. Maybe I will get out the camera this evening. Mine is a 1920s-30s English Tudor style. It was my grandparents' house that they bought in 1952. Under all that carpet is a nice hardwood floor but for now the carpet stays. It was one of those things that my grandfather had put in because it reminded him too much of being poor. Imagine that now. :p

Regards to all,

J

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
I currently reside in an apartment that I think is dated to the 1950s. It has been remodeled and has that lovely 1980s decor. It is also the host to brown bats in the winter.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
My former home

I owned a cute cottage in Reno that was built in 1929 from 1991-01. Absolutely loved it, brick, hardwood floors, super thick stucco walls, a big arch from the living room to the dining room. The bathroom was had a purple tub and pedistal sink on one side of the hall and a water closet on the other side. I never was able to find out if that was a wacky remodel. I remodeled the kitchen and modernized it, I just could lived with the horrible homemade tiny cabinents.

I brought two babies home from the hospital to that house. Oooohhh, if only I had rented it out when I moved instead of selling. :cry:

D

Deleted member 259

I grew up in a house built 1905 (I don't believe the house can be described by any particular style) In Roland Park, MD - The first planned suburban community in the US.

It's a beautiful house, originally brown shingled - now white siding. I know I have old photos of it circa 1930 or so - I'll try to post them when I go home in two weeks.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I recently purchased a small apartment here in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The building was erected way back in 1827.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My ranch house style dwelling in Southern California was built in the 1950s. I grew up in a brick house in St. Louis built in the late 20s.

Here's a pic
DSC00006.jpg

Doh!

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Pretty sure that's the original house on the Universal lot.

I think it is, too -- I just Googled "bates house" to look for photos. It looks pretty good in color!

Hiram

New in Town
Wild Root said:
The flag? Oh brother, you're not going to get me on that small technicality! :p
No, but that ADA ramp at the curb has got to go:

scotrace-house.jpg

My place, built in 1908 (ignore the reptile):
dragonhouse.jpg

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
My house was built in 1959, and I love it. But if I really had control over destiny, I'd live in the 1928 faux-British cottage that's on the California Historical Register, located about a mile away. I haven't seen the inside, but the outside is delightful. If I lived there, I'd set up a Bass Ale stand out front.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Older homes are hard to come by down here(South Florida) because hurricane codes and hurricanes themselves knock down or ruin them. Though it is my dream to own or build my own art deco house with a mixture of Frank Lloyd Wright. Though, my room next year will be as "decozed" as I can. I will post pics. Oh, and I love all of your homes and love hearing about them. BTW, Root you house appears to be turn of the century to modern times because it seems to be a mix of everything, not modernism. Is it Chicago Brick?

Jessica

One of the Regulars
I live in an early 1940's house. It has wonderful hardwood floors. It is one of the remaining original houses on my street. All of the other houses have been torn down and remodeled. It's too bad, really. I love my old house and wish I could buy it. Alas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy