Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polyester?

shindeco

A-List Customer
I agree with Ray, it would be difficult to wear in the heat.

As to the place of polyester, I think vintage wearers are sometimes apt to overlook or discount it but when polyester first came out it was something of a luxury fibre.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Accessorize correctly...

The correct shirt would be a black open collar. The car, a black '77 Pontiac Trans Am with the screaming eagle on the hood with an 8-track playing Melissa Manchester, Bee Gees and Linda Ronstadt.:cool:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
The correct shirt would be a black open collar. The car, a black '77 Pontiac Trans Am with the screaming eagle on the hood with an 8-track playing Melissa Manchester, Bee Gees and Linda Ronstadt.:cool:

Really? For that particular car, I'd think a cowboy hat and "East Bound and Down" on the 8-track would be more appropriate.;)

Ah, my childhood.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Really? For that particular car, I'd think a cowboy hat and "East Bound and Down" on the 8-track would be more appropriate.;)

Ah, my childhood.

Brad

Everybody sing:

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'
Ah we gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there
I'm eastbound, just watch old Bandit run

Keep your foot hard on the pedal
Son, never mind them brakes
Let it all hang out cause we got a run to make
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta
and there's beer in Texarkana
We'll bring it back no matter what it takes

:p

Regards to all,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A time when both the North and South....

agreed on something. That Trans Am was driven both by southern good old boys and northern disco-ers. Boy, GM really lost their marketing ability.:cheers1:

Hmmmm ...

... That is an interesting looking suit. Polyester has no place in my wardrobe. I couldn't imagine an american summer in polyester. If it was a really loose weave and unlined, maybe. But that stuff makes you sweat. It's like being in cling film. I think if someone bought it it would be one of those 'wear it once then down to the Goodwill' suits. Peeling off your clothing atthe end of the day is not enjoyable, i imagine.

bk

Marty M.

Vendor
Sauna Suit that needs no hanger.

Only the two sisters Polly and Ester would look twice at a man in that suit. It looks like the old Johnny Carson suits that I used to sell back in the mid-'70s. My fav was a solid baby blue 3 piece. But get this, the vest reversed to a yellow plaid. The lapels on the coat looked like something that Sally Field wore as the Flying Nun.

Marty

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
If you like it then buy it.

Then try to get the senior discount at Shoney's.:cheers1: In all seriousness, polyester is ok if you're the security guard at a hotel, a table cloth in a restaurant or a senior citizen. But, like I said; if you like it buy it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
shindeco said:
when polyester first came out it was something of a luxury fibre.

From my experience and encounters with the atrocious fabric, it was on mid to late 50’s clothes. In the 50’s it was known as “Dacron Polyester� it was also just called Dacron. It gained popularity as the 60’s progressed. By the 1970’s it was all the rage! Why would such an itchy non breathing fabric ever catch on? It was marketed as a luxury fabric in that it didn’t require dry cleaning, it was stretchy (One didn’t have to diet to fit into it) and it was very tough.

I remember wearing 100% Polyester pants when a young man going to Church with the family. When I got home, OFF THEY CAME! I couldn’t stand the itchy nature of them and they just made me sweat and uncomfortable.

To me, it’s a lazy man’s fabric. It doesn’t need much care but, brother, it would be a bad thing if you wore it near an open flame! That stuff is known to melt and bond to skin if exposed to fire.

When is a good time to wear Polyester? Never! When it’s cold out side, you’ll freeze! And when it’s warm or hot out side, you’ll sweat! There is no time proper for the fabric except for those years of the Disco era which I may ad is over and thank goodness for that!

Now, today, there are different processes of making Polyester softer, not as harsh but, to me, clothes aren’t to be made of plastic fibers! Give me the natural fibers any day!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
shindeco said:
Wild Root,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I was trying to point out (badly perhaps) that it wasn't always anathema in fashion circles. If I came across as a polyester advocate, it was unintentional!

Oh no, no, no, I didn't think for a second that you were a Polyester sympathizer. :p

I kind of wanted to just give a little Poly history for the our members.;)

And Vlad, Polyester is just wrong!

=WR=

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I would never wear a polyester suit, but I have several polyester ties that I regularly wear, and I love them to death. They don't look cheap eiather. I just roll them up and put a rubber band around them, throw them in the drawer and they're ready to go whenever I need them. With a nice natural suit, a polyester tie could be quite nice.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Briscoeteque said:
They don't look cheap eiather. I just roll them up and put a rubber band around them, throw them in the drawer and they're ready to go whenever I need them. With a nice natural suit, a polyester tie could be quite nice.

Eww. No offence, but all the Polyester ties I've seen are kind of well, nasty and way too long. This is coming from some one who only wears vintage 30's or 40's ties. I hang them in the closet and they stay nice. Natural ties with natural suits I say.;)

Enjoy the Disco ties.:p

=WR=

I cant even stand the smell or feel of the stuff! Just feels fake.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Back in the day

Baron Kurtz said:
Anyone here ever wear a polyester suit (3 piece, naturally - just to increase the sweating) to a disco? Someone must have. I think a description of how that felt would fit well here.

I wore polyester every day. When I was King Stud, cruising in the Trans Am, blown dry hair, open collared black shirt to show my hairy chest :cheers1: and white polyester suit, with a different babe on Friday and Saturday nights I would dance the night away. (Just kidding!)

Wild Root said:
Eww. No offence, but all the Polyester ties I've seen are kind of well, nasty and way too long. This is coming from some one who only wears vintage 30's or 40's ties. I hang them in the closet and they stay nice. Natural ties with natural suits I say.;)

Enjoy the Disco ties.:p

=WR=

I cant even stand the small or feel of the stuff! Just feels fake.

Oh, come on, now. You're saying that if a beautiful late 40s - early fifties Sears Dacron geometric print tie fell into your lap, you wouldn't love and cherish her?

I agree on the disco ties. Hideous! And MASSIVE. Why did they have to be so long and so wide? And with so much padding? I just searched through a couple thousand ties in a thrift shop. I pulled out about 10 decent 40s/50s ones at $2 a pop. Most of the others were 70s poly jobs. Made me feel sick just touching them while i passed them to the discarded pile.

forgot to mention: The only piece of old clothing my father still retains is a baby blue nehru collar poly disco suit. He never wears it any more, but there are photos. Oh dearme, that is a horrid suit!

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany