Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Positive role models for hat wearing. Thin on the ground?

vespasian

One of the Regulars
We all take notice of who's in a hat dont we, but at the moment there dont seem to be many (or any) positive role models in the media who wear decent hats. It seems at the moment the good guys wear wool caps and the bad guys wear fedoras.

Non positive: Pete Doherty, Jack Abramof, Michael Jackson.

Positive: Take a look herehttp://www.thegoldenera.net/current_famous_hat_wearers.html

Can someone get stuck in here. The reason I bring this up is Im going to create a website to promote good hat style in the UK and to try to bring together some info on where to buy, what to buy and how to wear for the Brits. I could well do with some positive spin on this great item.

Gumby

New in Town
Neat hats...

I was watching the series "Foyles War" here in the states on PBS. I was also lusting after the hats, and admiring the vintage clothing. British producers almost always do a better job than Hollywood when it comes to details in historic shows. Thanks for mentioning those sites.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

-Sir Winston Churchill

simmo

Familiar Face
Seems like a good idea.Is it me or does it seem like hat wearing is more acceptable in other countries than here in the UK for younger guys.I can imagine getting loads of strange looks where i live if i were to walk down the street in a fedora whereas i imagine in other countries such as the states people wouldn't take much notice or perhaps its the same all over ? By the way Vespasian ,whereabouts in Kent do you live.Used to live in Kent before i moved up north to Lincolnshire.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Literally creeped out by the Golden Era list...

makes me embarassed at even thinking of wearing a hat. they all look so creepy. will say however that penelope cruz, cameron diaz and matt mcconaughey do seem to carry it off. oh, and mario van peeples has the right look as well.

where are the iconic pictures who show that wearing hat doesn't have to make you look like a pimp?

Havana

One of the Regulars
That's a good observation, Simmo. I think hat's are accepted very differently in different countries and even within regions of the same country. I live in the southern United States and native southerners don't seem to pay much attention to anyone wearing a fedora, western hat, or gambler style hats but when I was up in the Union (the North) last year, I felt like I was getting stared at everywhere I went. The last time I was in the UK, complete strangers (in London) would make jokes about my hats. This was more than I have ever experienced anywhere else. Most were either cowboy or Indiana Jones comments. Some of the comments seemed pretty mean spirited but I couldn't be sure so I just marked it off to cultural differences. Whenever I would speak and the people heard that I was an American they seemed to lose interest in the hat as if it was expected of a yank. And for the record, I have been to England 8 times and the vast majority of the people I've met have always been extremely courteous, especially in the rural areas.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Its called jealousy. The only people not able to carry off wearing a hat are those with hangups of their own. I do generally feel that people judge me as some kind of geek in a fedora but thats in my head, nothing about whats on it, Im certain of that. I tend to find that in London people will make comments if youre in the wrong company, plus in the UK people are generally speaking becoming quite ignorant and rude. Sorry if that offends anyone from the UK but having lived most of my life here and British born and bred it makes me quite ashamed that some of my fellow islanders are selfish goons in many respects. It was probably that you were wearing something to which the yokels have little affinity. A trilby or fedora would probably not attract much attention.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I agree about the rudeness increasing in the UK. It goes hand in hand with nuisance neighbours, anti-social behaviour orders, people getting tagged for crimes, binge drinking. I get the impression the whole place is going to the dogs....
If you define positive role models as being generally good natured successfull people then I suppose the golden era list is true. If it means people wearing good hats then that might be another thing altogether!

It would be good to see your website when it's done Vespasian :)

Jeff.

simmo

Familiar Face
Yes.The nation seems to be full of hoodie yobs who dont have to answer to anyone and seem to have more rights than the innocent man but i expect you know that Vespasian.Must be a frustrating job being a copper in the UK in this day and age.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Here're some pics of Tom Waits looking ultra cool in some lids. This man's steering me towards stingier brims.....

tom_waits_1.jpg

waitsfedora.jpg

w_p1.jpg

Jeff.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
For our Golden Era list of celbebs... it's hard enough finding a celebrities wearing hats in everyday life let alone finding ones who look good in a hat.

The pics may show many faux pas, though they are a representation of what is out their now.

Lets fix this trend and get some good looking hats on these people.

I have always admired Kermit the Frog. We have to ad him to the list.

Adv_Kermit.jpg

Steve

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
For our Golden Era list of celbebs... it's hard enough finding a celebrities wearing hats in everyday life let alone finding ones who look good in a hat.

The pics may show many faux pas, though they are a representation of what is out their now.

Lets fix this trend and get some good looking hats on these people.

I have always admired Kermit the Frog. We have to ad him to the list.

Adv_Kermit.jpg
That is some thick felt!

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
vespasian said:
We all take notice of who's in a hat dont we, but at the moment there dont seem to be many (or any) positive role models in the media who wear decent hats. It seems at the moment the good guys wear wool caps and the bad guys wear fedoras.

Non positive: Pete Doherty, Jack Abramof, Michael Jackson.

Positive: Take a look herehttp://www.thegoldenera.net/current_famous_hat_wearers.html

Can someone get stuck in here. The reason I bring this up is Im going to create a website to promote good hat style in the UK and to try to bring together some info on where to buy, what to buy and how to wear for the Brits. I could well do with some positive spin on this great item.

The only person I would have to add to the positive list would be our very own Michaelson. He should be the Positive Role Model poster child for all Fedoras. Heres to you Michaelson :cheers1:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Now I'm adding one of my hat role models (if not a role model in other areas), Robert Crumb.

crumb.jpg

standing.jpg

Crumb-Banjo.jpg

And the famous dead German artist Joseph Beuys:

beuyscol.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy