Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possibly relocating.. help anyone?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
doghouse said:
And is it true about Denver being a "dust bowl"? I've driven through, stopped and ate lunch.. but I didn't pay too much attention to the air, I was just excited to get to Winter Park.

I hadn't heard (or noticed) Denver being a "dust bowl." The climate is dry here, but I never thought it was especially dusty. In fact, I've heard people remark what a clean city Denver is.

denver-downtown-xmas-lights-2-b.jpg

Does this look like a dusty, arctic city? :)

You didn't say what you were looking for in a new location, but Denver has lots of parks, golf courses, and it's near the mountains. It also has several universities, community colleges and adult ed courses--it's great for life-long learners.

If you enjoy culture, downtown Denver has a large performing arts complex with a symphony, ballet, and plays; the more popular Broadway shows eventually come here. Near downtown, there is swing dancing on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

If you or your husband ever need to find another job, there are, at this time, a lot of jobs in Denver. At the CPA firm where I work, we are hiring people as fast as we can.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I hadn't heard (or noticed) Denver being a "dust bowl." The climate is dry here, but I never thought it was especially dusty. In fact, I've heard people remark what a clean city Denver is.

denver-downtown-xmas-lights-2-b.jpg

Does this look like a dusty, arctic city? :)

You didn't say what you were looking for in a new location, but Denver has lots of parks, golf courses, and it's near the mountains. It also has several universities, community colleges and adult ed courses--it's great for life-long learners.

If you enjoy culture, downtown Denver has a large performing arts complex with a symphony, ballet, and plays; the more popular Broadway shows eventually come here. Near downtown, there is swing dancing on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

If you or your husband ever need to find another job, there are, at this time, a lot of jobs in Denver. At the CPA firm where I work, we are hiring people as fast as we can.

No, sure doesn't look dusty to me. I guess maybe people say that because of the mountains on all sides. Kinda like how Texas is all tumbleweeds ;)

And I wanted just some general opinions on different cities, that was why I haven't specified exactly what I want out of a city..I'm still deciding myself.

The main things I'd like include: good schools, some sort of deaf culture (hubby is a deaf ed interpreter), city life, low crime rate, decent cost of living, nice people, a vintage scene certainly wouldn't hurt, at least a small music scene that is more than just country music or rap, plenty of activities for small children, and I'd prefer not to be up to my neck in conservatives.

I like the fact that Denver seems to have a bustling economy at the moment.. you never know when you might need to find another job.

Guess I need to research Denver some more.

Novella

Practically Family
doghouse said:
And is it true about Denver being a "dust bowl"? I've driven through, stopped and ate lunch.. but I didn't pay too much attention to the air, I was just excited to get to Winter Park.

I've lived in Denver off and on for a few months and it's never been dusty. In the winter it's a bit drier here than other places I've been, but it's definitely not dusty.

Personally I would choose to live in California, but that's probably because I grew up there and love the big cities and big population. The housing is way overpriced, but I still love the state (both north and south). But I don't know if I'd recommend living there, rather I'd recommend Denver, Colorado. I think you said in another post you have four kids - this area, especially the southern suburbs, is the perfect place to raise kids. It's a really nice community with tons of kid activities. I have a younger sibling still in school, and the schools seem to be really good (better than the older schools I went to in CA). My parents moved here (from CA) after I moved out and my Mom once said she wished she'd moved here sooner. The housing is affordable (of course I'm used to California prices so my idea of affordable may be different than others), the area is new and very pretty (the mountain view is beautiful, and the Denver skyline isn't bad either). If you're into skiing or snowboarding it's the perfect place to be. And then you have the city with everything it has to offer within a short drive. There's plenty of museums, history, shopping, all the big chain stores are here along with smaller local stores (except for Trader Joe's, which I miss like crazy!). There seem to be a lot of events here too, and Red Rocks amphitheater is the coolest place I've ever been to see a concert. The airport is also great, I've flown in and out of it a lot and it's always been a good traveling experience.

The things I don't like about Denver: The city size feels much smaller than San Francisco and LA, and I'm a big city kind of person. Sometimes the state just feels too small to me. I don't ski or snowboard, and while the snow is lovely I like climates that are mild year round. Denver doesn't have extremely cold or hot weather and there is tons of sun, but there is real actual weather here and I'm use to whimpy California weather.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
You don't have to worry about Denver being a dust bowl. There are occasional temperature inversions in the winter that make it smoggy for a few days, but dust storms are not a problem. If you REALLY want to see wind and dust in action, try Lubbock - but buy a round trip ticket. You'll want it.

We DO get interesting, strong winds when the weather changes. It took me a while to figure it out - but the Rockies to our west are kind of a wind barrier. When we get a barometric pressure change north or south of us, there's only one way for the air to move - N-S along the Front Range. It can't go E-W.

I like the weather here a lot. Sunny in the summer, when it does snow in the winter it tends to melt off within a few days. I've been in Denver in November when the weather forecast was a high of 55 that day, snow that night and a high of 50 the next day - and they were right!

Here's a link to Sterling's Best Places with a good roundup of info on Denver.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Is all this helping in any way?:D

I know what I like, and what I want....but my interests and 'needs' are so far removed from what YOU may like, I think you could probably narrow down your list a lot more than the huge one you posted if you list what you really expect from the city you're going to. With THAT list, folks can probably give you a lot better input as to possibilities using your city list.

For instance, if you're a huge fan of Mexican food, then the South West is the direction to go. Active night life, then cities like Nashville or Chicago. Quiet nightlife, Little Rock....;) Does that make sense?

Regards! Michaelson

doghouse

One of the Regulars
This thread is definately helping. Having not traveled too far from Texas, I wanted to get some input on plenty of other places, and now I'm considering places I never would have before.. Portland, Oregon's a good example. I'm just so terrible at making even simple decisions like where to eat lunch (my husbands no better), that making a life changing decision is almost impossible!

Well off to narrow down the list a little.

Michaelson said:
Is all this helping in any way?:D

I know what I like, and what I want....but my interests and 'needs' are so far removed from what YOU may like, I think you could probably narrow down your list a lot more than the huge one you posted if you list what you really expect from the city you're going to. With THAT list, folks can probably give you a lot better input as to possibilities using your city list.

For instance, if you're a huge fan of Mexican food, then the South West is the direction to go. Active night life, then cities like Nashville or Chicago. Quiet nightlife, Little Rock....;) Does that make sense?

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Understood totally.

Well, I started out in Ohio, left for Florida and worked there for 3 years, and after that have been in Tennessee for the past 16 years (Lordy, has it been THAT long!:eek: )

Time to pull stakes up myself and head West. Kids are grown, and my wife and I need to do something different. Wyoming is calling our name.;)

Regards! Michaelson

doghouse

One of the Regulars
(also edited my original post)

Birmingham, Alabama
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Denver, Colorado *
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida *
Tampa, Florida
Chicago, Illinois
Louisville, Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky
St. Louis, Missouri
Charlotte, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina
Portland, Oregon *
Austin, Texas *
Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas *
San Antonio, Texas *
Virginia Beach, Virginia
* - top choices so far

(well.. I guessed I managed to narrow down a little better..)

What's important to us:

- good balance of family life and nightlife
- low crime rates
- good schools
- good cost of living
- friendly, openminded people
- lots of things to do
- nice scenery
- no extreme weather (such as the dryness of Arizona, or the extreme cold up north)
- not too much smog

and it couldn't hurt if the city can fufill these things..
- bustling downtown (especially if its the kind where you can walk and not get odd looks)
- at least some vintage culture (I'm getting awfully tired of being the local wierdo!)
- a decent public transit system

Michaelson

One Too Many
Knock Knoxville and Nashville, TN off your list, for a couple reasons based on your 'want/needs' column....specifically crime rate and schools. Knoxville is getting pretty bad about smog too.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Raleigh, NC is a really nice town. Located right in the Raleigh/Durham research triangle, and a LOT going on in that part of the country. My Mom's family is from that part of North Carolina, and it's beautiful....close to the Atlantic coastline, easy drive to the mountains, South Carolina big cities, good schools/universities, nice folks, a true 3-4 season weather pattern.....

I'd definitely recommend keeping Raleigh in the running. You best also factor in 'culture shock' by moving from Southern practices and ideas and moving North or West. Believe me, I speak from personal experience here, and that was moving in the OPPOSITE direction....North to the South. Wasn't ready for what I experienced. I'm a Southerner in practice and thought process now, but it took a few years.

Regards! Michaelson

Elaina

One Too Many
From your criteria, I'd stick with Portland, Oregon. It's pretty well in sync with what you want. Cost is a little high, but when we moved from Seattle (I worked in Potland and lived there for a month) we settled in Vancouver, WA because it was a little cheaper to live there for us rentwise.

Elaina

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
From your criteria, I'd stick with Portland, Oregon. It's pretty well in sync with what you want. Cost is a little high, but when we moved from Seattle (I worked in Potland and lived there for a month) we settled in Vancouver, WA because it was a little cheaper to live there for us rentwise.

Elaina

My husband is pretty much sold on Portland, I think the number of breweries is what snagged him. lol

Isn't Vancouver right over the river pretty much? Rent may very well be an issue for us as well.. we certainly aren't rolling in dollar bills by any means.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
Raleigh, NC is a really nice town. Located right in the Raleigh/Durham research triangle, and a LOT going on in that part of the country. My Mom's family is from that part of North Carolina, and it's beautiful....close to the Atlantic coastline, easy drive to the mountains, South Carolina big cities, good schools/universities, nice folks, a true 3-4 season weather pattern.....

I'd definitely recommend keeping Raleigh in the running. You best also factor in 'culture shock' by moving from Southern practices and ideas and moving North or West. Believe me, I speak from personal experience here, and that was moving in the OPPOSITE direction....North to the South. Wasn't ready for what I experienced. I'm a Southerner in practice and thought process now, but it took a few years.

Regards! Michaelson

I was thinking the same thing earlier today about the culture shock. Which is one reason I've crossed off towns in New England..

Raleigh sounds nice, and my husband has visited there. He commented on their southern hospitality.

Elaina

One Too Many
Yes, right across a really scenic bridge. Closer the Ft. Worth is to Dallas.

There is also a culture shock moving from here to OR/WA too. Trust me. I lost my accent because I was tired of the snippy comments about it, you get used to it, but I knew every Texan within a hundred mile radius.

Elaina

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Judging by the natives, I'll bet Tarzana is a nice place! Wait! I've been there, back in 1980-1981. I was attending CSUN in Northridge. They shot Tarzan films there, back in the Golden Era. That, I'm told. is how it got its name.

dean

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
Yes, right across a really scenic bridge. Closer the Ft. Worth is to Dallas.

There is also a culture shock moving from here to OR/WA too. Trust me. I lost my accent because I was tired of the snippy comments about it, you get used to it, but I knew every Texan within a hundred mile radius.

Elaina

Once you didn't stand out as much as a Texan, did people overall seem to be friendly? I expect wherever I move, it'll definately take adjusting. Just moving from Dallas to Texarkana was a culture shock!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Samsa said:
Ann Arbor is a college town. I haven't lived there, but have visited on several occasions. It's nice, but a drawback would be all the college kids there. However, if you wanted to commute, the metropolitan area around Detroit is nice, especially the northern suburbs (though this would be quite a commute, if you were to work in Ann Arbor proper).

Fenton is 30 minutes north of Ann Arbor on US 23, wherein I and my family live as I serve Trinity Lutheran Church, and I can tell you it's a great place to live. Really, people like it! It has a 12% per annum growth rate, small town but not too far from civilization.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou