Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Brexit import experiences

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It is different here. As said there is no import duty so the declaration is not for clearing custom but more for Statistics. The courier would deliver the goods to me first. I would then file declaration. The notice from DHL is just a kind reminder not a prerequisite. You on the other hand I suppose have to make declaration, pay the duty and tax before the courier would deliver to you.
Yup that's correct. Here is no pay no play. Haha. It didn't used to be this way. Many years ago it was an invoice afterwards type of system. But I guess that didn't work and so it turned into what we got here today. Declare, pay taxes, then the courier delivers. And if the dues aren't paid within two weeks the goods gets sent back I believe.
But with all the free trade agreements there is only 12% sales tax now, no more duties. It used to cost about 35% for duties and taxes. So that's sort of a plus.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I read about 20 of the latest post regarding import duties from Aero. However, I can still in the dark. Can someone please help me figure out how much would I have to pay in US import duties to get a 850-900 Us dollar jacket?

Please advice,

GHT

I'll Lock Up
First example.

I bought a jacket from ebay.co.uk. I didn't use eBay's international shipping service (Pitney Bowes Limited), I chose UPS express shipping.

I payed £705 for the jacket, shipping included. However, I asked the seller to declare the jacket as a gift with a value of €50.

Total customs/handling fees were €26.23.
View attachment 300461
Nothing is certain except death and taxes - This famous quote about taxes originated with Benjamin Franklin in 1789. Over 200 years later, it still rings true.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I read about 20 of the latest post regarding import duties from Aero. However, I can still in the dark. Can someone please help me figure out how much would I have to pay in US import duties to get a 850-900 Us dollar jacket?

Please advice,
Thanks to Ton for the short answer of $800 US Dollars. For the US.
Long answer: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800

De Minimis Value Increases to $800​

Release Date: Fri, 03/11/2016 - 12:00

WASHINGTON — As agreed in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, signed by President Barack Obama Feb. 24, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that March 10, it raised the value of a shipment of merchandise imported by one person on one day that generally may be imported free of duties and taxes from $200 to $800.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Please advice,
California residents you will have to pay your state sales taxes plus DHL handling fees. There is no duty but sales tax, 7.5%I think depending on county?
800x0.075+25(handling admin fee, maybe 15, not sure), so about $85.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I am looking at a jacket at Aeros Sales Page but due to work I have no opportunity to go pick up a shipment at the Customs Offices. Does the courier that Aero uses handle customs and allows for me to repurse/pay them for that service online/at the door like UPS does?

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
I am looking at a jacket at Aeros Sales Page but due to work I have no opportunity to go pick up a shipment at the Customs Offices. Does the courier that Aero uses handle customs and allows for me to repurse/pay them for that service online/at the door like UPS does?
For me they used DHL which allows to pay for duties/taxes online while the parcel is in transit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW