Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Practical alternative to M-1941?

pipvh

Practically Family
I've been wanting an M-1941 as an everyday wearer but the lack of pockets, particularly an inside one, has stopped me from going for it. What has the late 30s ambience of the M-1941 but with pockets etc more conducive to a man on the go? I'm sure that, if such a thing ever existed, it is being replicated in Japan right now for vertigo-inducing sums of money... The Pike Bros N1 has been tweaked a bit and perhaps the same thing has been done for the M-1941 while still allowing it to retain some credibility?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I find the M41's unsecured slash pockets awkward for anything but my hands. The original design had button flaps over the pockets, which is a little more practical.

As to a similar jacket, how about a naval M-421? Patch flap pockets, inner snap pocket and a biswing beltback. But you have to like tan, or be a dab hand with the dye pot.

Last edited:

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Or sew pockets to the outside of the M-41. With no internal pockets it's pretty easy to punch through the front with whatever type you wish. Angled M-42 type, leather A-2 type, tanker patch type. Credible vintage options are endless.

pauleway

Practically Family
I find the M41's unsecured slash pockets awkward for anything but my hands. The original design had button flaps over the pockets, which is a little more practical.

As to a similar jacket, how about a naval M-421? Patch flap pockets, inner snap pocket and a biswing beltback. But you have to like tan, or be a dab hand with the dye pot.
I really like the M-421, just wish it had some kind of lining to give a little more warmth/sustance!

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
Yes, well, chaps.... The major's bargain tanker, though incredibly tempting and an absolute bargain, might not be exactly what I'm looking for.

Who makes a decent M-421 these days? There's an RRL attempt that looks reasonable but the cotton/nylon puts me off and the fake name tag is tacky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nwt-Ralph...95?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item4855afc303 Then various over-badged Japanese offerings that look great but couldn't really be worn.

Or this one: http://www.tuckshopsundrysupplies.com/store/red-cloud-usn-421n-summer-flight-jacket/ Though I need to find out if the price is in Singapore or US dollars...

edit: Yes, I know that the RRL is an AN6551 copy and not an M-421 but still...

Last edited:

You see this version of the M-421 from At The Front? Has slash pockets...not sure if you are looking for larger patch pockets or not.

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USUJM41

I have one of their Tanker jackets that I'm quite pleased with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy