Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, I've found this derby posted in 2008 a puzzler... it appears later than the 1902 postmark would suggest. Sure wish I could see the sweatband LOTXXXX stamp on that one. Perhaps it was mailed again later on, or perhaps some of these tags and materials were used earlier. Dunno.

I also wish I could find more reference to Maurice L. Rothschild marks and logos.

That one is a puzzler......very interesting

It has the 1900 Paris Stamp on the sweatband, which I would assume Stetson would have used from 1900 - 1914 until they won another medal in 1915. The sweatband also appears to have the "Flexible Conforming" stamp as well which can be seen on the box. It could date from 1902, but then again, it could potentially date until 1914 as well. It could have been put into an older Stetson box. [huh]

I haven't studied this post carefully, but the original poster shared quite a bit of info confirming his sense that the box and hat are an original pair. It is very similar to my Flexible Conforming, which I have always placed in the 1920s. Gots to love the mystery of it all.

Then again, twenty years is the time between lunch and dinner to me these days.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1900s Exposition Medal Velour

This one is in stunning shape for its age. It was made for 'H. Halle & Bro.' and sold from 'Oak Hall' Located in Memphis, TN. The 'Oak Hall' franchise just celebrated 155 years of business. William "Buffalo Bill" Cody was a customer of this store.

The felt is dense, yet takes on any crease you may put on it. The hat, in my eyes, looks great with a simple center dent with two side pinches to really bring out the period look.
The velour is black with flecks of silver, grey, and red. To top it off (and I was shocked to find), it came with the original hat box that included a few extra goodies that I also pictured for your enjoyment.
The liner is absolutely stunning. Purple surrounds the initial logo, while the liner contains a swirl pattern. The brim also has what resembles a Lords hat treatment, or a kettle curl type look.

Sadly, I was unable to locate a size sticker, as the liner covers it, or it never existed. It does contain the store tag, which is barley readable. Maybe one of you can help decipher it's fading text.

Open crown height: 5 7/8"
Brim: 2 7/8"
Ribbon: 2"
Sweatband: 2"
LOT# 5160

2e7upa6a.jpg

yqasugus.jpg

ybaqudas.jpg

y9a6a7u2.jpg

7uqu8esu.jpg

yde6aneq.jpg

mu8agyta.jpg

equtana5.jpg

gemuguqu.jpg

u2arebe3.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool Justin... neat to have the case and its collection of formal accessories - even some felt strips for a fit adjustment! I would guess that the case was a separate purchase - perhaps it once housed a top hat? From the LotXXXX number and small round size tag, it would be somewhere around the stock market crash to the early years of the depression. Looks great on you.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
20s Stetson Select

The color is a dark tan. This one's sweatband seems to have been replaced at one point of its life. I really enjoy the brim treatment this one has.

uja2yqes.jpg

abyquvuz.jpg

9egumave.jpg

evu4y4y9.jpg

gaba2yne.jpg

usu4uby5.jpg

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1920s Stetson Select Homburg

The felt is amazingly soft. Molds like butter. The hat is black. I left the hat in the crease it came with; side pinches with a little outward crease to each.

The lot number is faded as you can see, and there is no blocking tag. I can tell you that this one was blocked with a very flat top block as seen in the photos.

8uqy4a5y.jpg

2yja3y5a.jpg

vy4yryja.jpg

uneredeh.jpg

su7usata.jpg

y9y3edyn.jpg

jyqy6a7a.jpg

haqe8ezu.jpg

a3edu6y7.jpg

ega9u7a2.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
FANTASTIC, VIC!!!!

I have never seen a "crush weight" before. I don't suppose you have pictures of the reorder tags from both hats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou