Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson No. 1 Quality Western

3704248505_5736a15d98_b.jpg
3705058084_9cb3f7ed43_b.jpg
3704248985_a5afc7b883_b.jpg

3705058612_b9ef00fc09.jpg
3862797182_36385f7863_o.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Upon starting to read this thread, the thought came up that I should perhaps insert my big Nutria western Stetson. Not that I have any guarantee that it is "pre-1940": it might only come close; definitely most of the other hats I see in this thread are older (the "square with diagonal Stetson" logo on the sweatband attesting to that).
Great was my surprise at Dinerman having done the work for me. Tkuvm Diner, that's fine.
Whilst this hat is no my most "wearable" hat - it is galumptuous, especially in our oh so civilized European setting, where the mere word "cowboy" elicits Pavlovian associations with Texan politicians, yet it is -no doubt about it- one of my favorite hats: no other hat I in my collection is so malleable, meaning (I borrow this from another Lounge Member) meaning the shape, the bash of the crown is like something as if of soft clay, putty... Immensely bashable... I love that hat.

023.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

061.jpg

063.jpg

Is that malleability due to its being ...nutria... or is it due to ...mercury...???

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
RobFedoraField said:
you popped out that pork pie crease! you're a braver man than I

Rob, please allow me to state that these hats are sooooh "malleable" that it is no problem in the least un-bashing and re-bashing them, whether it be to the original bash, or another one. I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the quality was such that the word "stiffener" was quite simply neither necessary nor desired. For the crown. I don't know about the brim: those were plenty stiff...

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Garrett, the liner was already posted by Dinerman (go up quite a ways and search for my noggin - it's the same hat. But (at risk of being considered a show-off/sorry guys) here it is again

018.jpg

Greetings to a grand America.
Paul

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's currently on ebay with a buy it now close to a thousand bucks. A bit rich for my blood, but I think the pictures deserve to be here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot