Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre War AAF Tropical dress uniform, Palm Beach fabric

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
If this in fact white or ivory it would have been for formal occasions, such as a black tie affair. Downside is it is lacking all insignia. Prior to WWII The Air Corps was a branch of the Army like the Signal or Chemical corps. Therefore it has Army dress buttons but could be from any branch or corps of the army. Still very cool, probably made for a commanding officer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
US-Army-officer-a-Generals-aide-wearing-white-formal-uniform-appropriate-for-summer-and-tropical-duty-520x724.jpg

"U.S. Army, officer, a General's aide, wearing white formal uniform, appropriate for summer and tropical duty." LIFE magazine, 1941.

This was not a evening uniform, such as a mess jacket. Nor was it a service uniform. I have the feeling its uses were very specific, even in the pre-war Army. It probably substituted for the dress blues in tropical postings.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Can't edit here...It may be that the dress whites served a similar function at the time to those of the Navy, ie, the officer's daily duds in a tropical garrison. Pre-WW2, khaki blouse uniforms were limited to branches, notably aviators and submariners.
usapgenshortyv9.jpg

Lt. Gen. Walter C. Short, Commander, Hawaiian Department, 1941.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
If this in fact white or ivory it would have been for formal occasions, such as a black tie affair. Downside is it is lacking all insignia. Prior to WWII The Air Corps was a branch of the Army like the Signal or Chemical corps. Therefore it has Army dress buttons but could be from any branch or corps of the army. Still very cool, probably made for a commanding officer.

FWIW, the US Army Air Forces were part of the Army until 1947.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot