Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- WW2 Wool A-1 Spearhead Militaria

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Thanks for the measurements and pics! Chestsize 44 is ideal for me to give the jacket the trim appearance it needs, but unfortunately the sleeves are way to short for my monkey-arms..

The jacket looks great on you!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I would love one of those in gray. I saw the gray advertised in the ebay listing, but didn't see any gray jackets (or any size 40 for that matter).

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the measurements and pics! Chestsize 44 is ideal for me to give the jacket the trim appearance it needs, but unfortunately the sleeves are way to short for my monkey-arms..

The jacket looks great on you!

Thanks. E-mail Barry Lyndon through the Spearhead EBay store. I found him really helpful. My 44 wasn't listed, but he pulled one out of stock. I'd ask about longer arms as it might be something he can cater for.
Good luck!
Ian

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
The basic dimensions (44) are:
Pit to pit 23"
Sleeves 25"
Shoulders 19"
Yoke 19.5"
Front length 22.5"
Back length 25"
Odd quirk (showing that the machinist hasn't handled an A-1) - the pencil pocket is stitched on the shell, but doesn't go through to lining, making it cosmetic. I'm going to remove the stitching anyway as it doesn't appear on originals.

IMG_0954_zps1d3d8105.jpg

Cool jacket and good fit.

Do you know where it has been made?
What fabric for shell and lining?

Regarding the term for the jacket, I'm not sure. The Japanese call this one a Open G Jacket.
opengjacket-0000A.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
Incidentally, does anybody know what this woollen jacket is really called?
Often called an 'A-1', but I can't believe that it is the same as the leather flight jacket. Is it even an USAAC/USAAF jacket at all, rather than an army garment? Here's an original:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=261188744529
Thanks

Ian

Many of the more exclusive men's fashion houses make something similar and they call it a 'Blouson'. They make them in leather, suede and wool. They have been popular staples for them for years. Funnily enough I saw one for the first time the other day actually referred to as an 'A-1 style' so maybe they are catching on to the repro flight jacket market.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The Japanese jacket looks like it was based on my LVC Menlo Cossack (also posted here today).
IMG_0971_zps15c3027b.jpg

Last edited:

absoluteyouth

New in Town
I just picked this up. It is, what I believe to be, an original Pre War version of this jacket. Seems as though there is primarily speculation over the intended use of these jackets, and I've had a hell of time trying to find images of surviving examples for comparison (plenty of grainy old CCC images though). I've scoured a number of FL threads looking for photos and information, but most A-1 talk (if you want to call this an A-1) revolves around this jacket's leather cousin. Please share what information you may have!

RfpRwsT.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
any chance you own the book and could share a photo?

All I have is an iPhone to take photos of the page.

The color of the jacket is more olive then what this camera is showing.

23jjody.jpg

Below is leather A-1

6nv0on.jpg

This is what's written:
The army type A-1 leather flight jacket introduced in Nov of 1927. This garment was intended
for wear as a summer flight jacket for pilots & was predecessor for the famous A-2 that would follow
in just 4 years.

2132dqo.jpg

Photo taken April 27, 1930 of Army Major Clagette wearing A-1 at United airport- Burbank, Calif.

Bottom page
Wool version of the type A-1 flight jacket

2q319gz.jpg

This is what's written about the wool version:

"Heavy & well made, this example bears a well worn nomenclature label ,
unable to read, but has held up very well. It is almost identical in cut & design
to the leather version.

Please note that the color of the wool jacket is olive... but my iPhone thinks she
knows better...ha-ha !
Anyway I hope it helps !

2Jakes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari