Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precision Sewing Awl

Aerialcopper

New in Town
First post!

After a sale to a fedora lounge member about six months ago, and a bit of browsing since, this seems like a good place to offer some of the items I make.

The most recent creation off the mill is a sewing awl similar in operation to the 'Speedy Stitcher'. It is different in many ways, though. Machined entirely of corrosion-resistant metals, it is the successor to two other awls I've made. It uses dbx1 industrial needles and corresponding standard industrial bobbins. This allows it to sew with much finer thread than the 'Speedy Stitcher'. It incorporates a thread tensioner and a slot for that bobbin that eliminates tangling.

In the right hands, it is a very capable device that can make near-perfect lockstitch seams in difficult-to-reach areas. I've been using one myself to patch clothes and sew thick materials, but I understand hatmakers may require a tool like this.

il_570xN.666794562_3pzr.jpg

There is only one for sale in my Etsy store now, at $220. If more people show interest, there are two more nearing completion that I will post for sale.

Tangent: I've been trying out a simple metal shuttle with my own awl, and it seems to work well. I will include one with the awl sold on Etsy.

For details on this awl and other things I've made, see my blog.

Thanks for looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda