Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Pretty in Pink" in the Golden Age

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I watched Pretty in Pink again recently and thought about the movies of old that dealt with romance between rich and poor. It made me wonder how the story would have been done in the Golden Age?
Would Wallace Beery play the dad?
Who would you cast?
How do you think the story would be different?
Would you have take place in a music conservatory with Duckie being a zoot suit wearing Jazz fan and Blaine being part of the "long hair" classical students that is intrigued by the jazz chick?

I would sincerely like to hear the Lounge's ideas on this.

Sincerely,
THE
_____WOLF

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Premaking a movie seems like a much more amusing exercise than remaking one.

My premake would have Lionel Barryomre as the dad.
21701774_s3_li_bar.jpg

Judy Garland as Molly Ringwald.
judy%20garland%20500c.jpg

Mickey Rooney as Ducky.
r96canada-rooney.jpg

(Of course I'm making a musical here, the soundtrack was the most improtant feature of PinP afterall.)
And Young Henry Fonda is the other guy.
0402_fonda.jpg

The James Spader role would be played by Ceasar Roemro. I'm not premaking anything without Ceasar Romero.
cesarromero2-23-193437-30.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
Premaking a movie seems like a much more amusing exercise than remaking one.

I'm not premaking anything without Cesar Romero.
cesarromero2-23-193437-30.jpg

Taxi Driver? Cesar Romero

Deer Hunter? Cesar Romero

Fried Green Tomatos? Who else.... Cesar Romero :D

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I take it, from your merciless lampooning, that you are not admirers of Cesar Romero's suave and stylin' ways.

Your loss.

BegintheBeguine

Hail, Cesar

Unfortunate misinterpretation due to the limitations of the Internet. I've loved Cesar Romero ever since I watched Batman as a child. Then when I saw The Thin Man as a teen. He was at a function (for Turner Broadcasting? can't remember) in Georgia and was very nice, sophisticated, funny.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Unfortunate misinterpretation due to the limitations of the Internet. I've loved Cesar Romero ever since I watched Batman as a child. Then when I saw The Thin Man as a teen. He was at a function (for Turner Broadcasting? can't remember) in Georgia and was very nice, sophisticated, funny.

Then you can join my club. Welcome.

Now precast Pretty in Pink as per request of the wolf.

BegintheBeguine

Sir, yes, sir

Black/white. Rich/poor. Takes place in a roadhouse. Some kids work there, some hang out there. Or something, we'll make it up as we go along.
Paul Robeson - Jack
Dorothy Dandridge - Andie
Tim Holt - Duckie
George Sanders - Blane
Orson Welles - Steff
Judy Holliday - Iona
and Yul Brynner as the Bouncer

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Black/white. Rich/poor. Takes place in a roadhouse. Some kids work there, some hang out there. Or something, we'll make it up as we go along.
Paul Robeson - Jack
Dorothy Dandridge - Andie
Tim Holt - Duckie
George Sanders - Blane
Orson Welles - Steff
Judy Holliday - Iona
and Yul Brynner as the Bouncer

:D

I like the black/white rich/poor, and Dorothy Dandridge is always a welcome sight in any movie. :eusa_clap

carebear

jake_fink said:
I take it, from your merciless lampooning, that you are not admirers of Cesar Romero's suave and stylin' ways.

Your loss.

Also misunderstood. I was just riffing on the wide net the "anything" cast, trying to find the least Romero-ish roles I could think of.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
good answers

I agree that Cesar Romero was great. His role in Orchestra Wives is one of my favorites.
I'm still trying answer my own question.
I'm leaning towards Bonita Granville as Andie and Eve Arden as Iona, her boss at the record store. Maybe Roddy McDowell as Duckie.

Sincerely,
Wolfie:rolleyes:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I forgot Molly Ringwald's boss at the record store. For that role I give you...
thelma-todd.jpg

THELMA TODD

Gosh. I'm spending a lot of time precasting a movie I didn't even like when I was 14. [huh]

Haversack

One Too Many
I have to say that I don't know _Pretty In Pink_ for beans. However, on the topic of Caesar Romero, I think his best casting was as Hernan Cortez opposite Tyrone Power in _Captain From Castile_.

Haversack.

miss1934

Familiar Face
Now I don't know about making PinP a muscial but I think that Ducky should definitely be played by either William Powell, as he was in both Double Wedding and Libeled Lady or Robert Montgomery in his early supporting roles with Norma Shearer. both men are quirky enough that they can get away with it. I think that it would be interesting to see someone like Gene Tierny as Molly Ringwald, I realize this is the wrong period but she can be shy and delightfuly suspicious and adorable. I also think that while she is believable as an outcast, she is very clearly able to support herself in life. My main reference for this would be The Big Country with Gregory Peck. Wallace Beery could in fact play the father along with the drunk from To Have and Have Not. I'll work on the James Spader role later tonight.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo