Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jonanah

New in Town
Hi folks! My partner and I are currently saving up for an eventual trip to Japan. I know the prices of many of the Japanese-made goods we see here—The Real McCoys, Iron Heart, etc.—are inflated in the western market. I was wondering, just how much lower can I expect the prices to be in Japan? I’d be curious about the differential both for new goods and second hand available there.

Bonus question: I am aware people buy through proxies, but I don’t really know anything about the process. Do people find a lot of success there? Is it difficult?

Thanks Fedora Lounge!

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
If you buy retail through a proxy site like onejapan, you can just link them directly to the item on the Japanese website, enter details like sizing and color, submit order, where they check to see if they can buy it for you, if they can, they will send you an invoice (turnaround time is pretty quick), you pay the market exchange rate, no tax. They will make the purchase for you and you wait for the item to arrive in their warehouse. There's status updates for all these things. Once at the warehouse, you can store it there free for 45 days to make more purchases you can consolidate for shipping or you can start shipping and they send you a second bill for shipping it you your destination and if there's any local shipping costs to the warehouse they add those in, they also take a 300 yen commission per item and charge you 300 yen if you want pictures(3).

I've not used any auction sites on it.

Caveat tho, when you buy through them, they declare your purchase to customs at the real price. Price tags are kept on. I know for the US you get up to $800 duty free, anything above that, you will be charged. I learned the hard way about that and was charged 17% duties. ~$330. Ended up being very close to the retail price had I bought the item in the States.

Dunno if you can "bypass" those fees if traveling and shopping in person, don't know what the declaration and duties situation with traveling is. I guess if you wanted to declare an $1800 leather jacket you could, maybe don't declare anything at all over 800 total and wear it out the airport? How would they know? Not telling you to do that though.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Some site (buyee) only allows you to store an item for 30 days for free.

Shipping from Japan to the US is usually $30s and up, if wait time is not an issue.

Sometimes there are 5-20% coupons on top of the JP price. If an item is not popular, waiting for a coupon is the way to go. It could be $100+ saving.

Buying second-hand items from JP is the best! I usually get them at around 67%-70% off the retail price.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
If you buy retail through a proxy site like onejapan, you can just link them directly to the item on the Japanese website, enter details like sizing and color, submit order, where they check to see if they can buy it for you, if they can, they will send you an invoice (turnaround time is pretty quick), you pay the market exchange rate, no tax. They will make the purchase for you and you wait for the item to arrive in their warehouse. There's status updates for all these things. Once at the warehouse, you can store it there free for 45 days to make more purchases you can consolidate for shipping or you can start shipping and they send you a second bill for shipping it you your destination and if there's any local shipping costs to the warehouse they add those in, they also take a 300 yen commission per item and charge you 300 yen if you want pictures(3).

I've not used any auction sites on it.

Caveat tho, when you buy through them, they declare your purchase to customs at the real price. Price tags are kept on. I know for the US you get up to $800 duty free, anything above that, you will be charged. I learned the hard way about that and was charged 17% duties. ~$330. Ended up being very close to the retail price had I bought the item in the States.

Dunno if you can "bypass" those fees if traveling and shopping in person, don't know what the declaration and duties situation with traveling is. I guess if you wanted to declare an $1800 leather jacket you could, maybe don't declare anything at all over 800 total and wear it out the airport? How would they know? Not telling you to do that though.
walk through custom with brand new jacket, remove the tag, who is gonna know? Don't declare it. Win-Win, and you can get the japan consumer tax back if you are a foreigner.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Don’t they scan your passport? I mean in Japan it may be nothing but it would suck to come home and have your passport scanned locally and hit with a bill.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Don’t they scan your passport? I mean in Japan it may be nothing but it would suck to come home and have your passport scanned locally and hit with a bill.

yes they do, but that is not shared across countries/local customs you head back to, at least not for Canada in 2018.
Unless of course they got rid of the custom forms you have to fill out and start tracking your purchases, i'm sure there is a "Act" or w.e that the gov have to pass to allow privacy infringement

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
For brand new jackets, the difference is between USD 500 to 600 depending on exchange rates.

If you want to buy new, and can find the jacket in the US then it’s best to buy from the US resellers.

For used jackets, that’s where the deals are. Especially the BNWT ones. A lot of Japanese consumer also do preorders, only to find out it doesn’t fit upon arrival, they usually resell these BNWT jackets at a discount, even paying full duties on these jackets it’s still worth it.

There are also sample sales. A lot of these happen right after the brand does their “exhibition tour“ around all the stores. Like floor models, deep discounted.

If you want to check them out in Japan, be aware that a lot of the niche brands are preorders only and not always stocked in store. Ueno area has lots of niche stores you can cover a lot of brands there.

And yeah the most ideal situation is to buy the jacket when you land there, wear it for the trip, and bring it back undeclared. Bootlegging. Declare small crap like snacks and stuff.

Damon141

Practically Family
I was looking at a backpack the other day that was a couple hundred dollars more when it navigated me to the USA site.
If I was really wanted it I’d look into a proxy. Buyee.com has been reliable for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner