Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problem with akubra fed arrival...

Magus

Practically Family
There ya go. I was just getting ready to Chime in with "steam and two bottles". Its my usual method and has recovered many a hat. Glad to see it worked for you as well.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
waffle said:
bill,

i created a little something like what you used out of aluminum foil to get the job done. I noticed that steam was heating up the enitre hat, and thought it better to concentrate it on the area needed. it was mostly trial and error, but I guess I got it right after a while. there's still a tiny bit of a line left from the crease, but not nearly as noticable..

either way, thanks bill for your input and time.. I really do appreciate it. :)

By the way, for those of you wondering, I did get an email back from hatsdirect. They were pretty kind about it and gave me some instructions (basically the same yall gave me about water and steam) on how to fix the hat. They did tell me however, that if i couldn't completely remove the crease and if i wasnt satisfied, i could return it for another hat.

-adolfo

You are most welcome, Adolfo! And what you said confirms my impression, that Hats Direct are dinkum dealers. They'll make it right I'm sure. Do wish they'd spend 50 cents on an overbox, though.

My experience, when I've thought I got the straightening done as well as I could, and came back later for another go, it improved it further. That lightweight felt Mallory 10 of mine got a re-steaming and pressing two days ago and it is considerably better. Just a thought if you are obsessing over it, like I sometimes do.

- Bill

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Received my two Feds from Hatsdirect yesterday and the box was a mess! They shipped one hat inside the other and they were pretty crumpled :eek: :eusa_doh: . The good news is the hats popped back pretty good, but one ribbon has a few creases in it from being pushed down to the brim. How do I get those creases out[huh] ?

Whoever said Hatsdirect should put their hat box into another box before shipping is absolutely right!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Alternatively, you guys could move to Japan, where the post office and delivery companies don't put the mail through a trash compactor before delivery.

Kabuto - that's right too!

Sometimes it seems like the things marked "fragile, this side up", "do not puncture", "do not stack on bottom" etc get singled out for special treatment, as do obvious candidates like a hat box with a few little pieces of tape slapped on it. Special treatment in this case being something like "I hate my job and now somebody else is gonna feel bad too!" But the delivery people I know are all very nice and not like that at all.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
I used to work for UPS a long time ago and I remember that the English to UPS lingo says

Fragile=throw has hard as possible
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21