Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professional Golfers' Hats

Landman

One Too Many
I was watching the U.S. Open golf tournament last night and it made me realize how much I miss the way the old pros dressed. Here is one of my favorite pictures of Sam Snead.

punumage.jpg
muqe7yza.jpg

It's seen it's better days for sure. This one's a Stetson.
The coconut straw has long been a favorite of mine, personally I think it's one of the best looking options, but certainly by far the least resilient.

Last edited:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
i wasnt aware of the coconut fedoras short comeings ,
i bought a 7 1/8 on ebay (missrepresented ) as a 7 1/2 and after cutting the sweatband i got it stretched into a 7 3/8 long oval , it split the the stitching on the back of the crown but it still makes a good work hat .
if i found a similar coconut straw under $30 i would happily buy it
charlie

p.s.
dh66 i agree coconut is my favorite straw also it just harkens to the the 50's and 60's

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Looks like you got a lot of miles out of that one, dh66. It has some real character.

I don't know anything about coconut straw hats but Guatemalan straw hats are cheap and very durable. I like to buy the open crown hats from Sunbody and crease them myself. They are easy to crease and fun to play around with the styles. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.sunbody.com

This is the one I usually buy. It is the fine grade Guatemalan straw with a 3" brim. The standard grade is only about $40.00.

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/91_17/3-inch-brim-guatemalan-fine-palm-hat.cfm

If I have time later today I will take some pictures of mine. I have quite a few of them I have creased in different styles. One in a tear drop crease that I put on different pugs for a golf hat. Actually looks similar to the hat Sam Snead is wearing in the first photo I posted.

Last edited:
Thanks Landman.
I'm about due for a new one soon. The brim has started to separate from the crown where the sweat is sewn in. Coconut just isn't very durable, but like Tuck said, it really has that 50s vibe to it. I had another one with a centerdent that my boy was fooling with, he pulled it down on his head and pulled the brim off completely. Kids can do a number on a hat.
There is a western store near me that sells sunbody hats. I have eyeballed this one a few times.
egahesy7.jpg

Definitely not a stingy brim pork-pie, but it's speakin' to me.

Since I suppose I had a hand in letting this one get loose right out of the gate, here's a few pics to get it back on track.
eruheny9.jpg

Old Jack Nicklaus in his bucket hat. Not one of the higher peaks in golf fashion.
7a5asehu.jpg

Chi Chi Rodriguez. Before he made the Hawaiian print puggaree band his trademark look.
evysa8uz.jpg

Bob Hope, lookin smooth.

These are all from a site called http://www.historicgolfphotos.com
If you are interested in that kind of stuff. Honestly I'm really only interested in coconut pork-pies.;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR